Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Looking for ideas on a new garage setup  (Read 5378 times)

Offline scottmathews

• 1st Kit
Re: Looking for ideas on a new garage setup
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 11:09:06 am »

Definitely plan out space for temperature controlled fermentation if you don't already have that covered.

That thought actually just popped into my head, because I'd definitely like to use that space for fermentation if I can. Is there a reasonably cheap and efficient way to keep them at temp. without building a big fermentation chamber? I haven't really looked into that much since I've had warmer spaces to keep the stuff in my apartment. I'm not opposed to building a temp. controlled chamber, but if there's an easy way to do it without one that would be good to know.

Fridges or freezers are reasonably cheap and efficient for temperature control. You can add a temperature controller and a heating element and run the whole gamut of fermentation temperatures.

I didn't think about that at all! I was just thinking of keeping the temps up during the winter, but it's likely I'll need to keep it down at some point. I have one that's becoming a kegerator, but I imagine I can find a cheap/free one to convert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Mathews

Offline scottmathews

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 11:12:57 am »

Definitely plan out space for temperature controlled fermentation if you don't already have that covered.

That thought actually just popped into my head, because I'd definitely like to use that space for fermentation if I can. Is there a reasonably cheap and efficient way to keep them at temp. without building a big fermentation chamber? I haven't really looked into that much since I've had warmer spaces to keep the stuff in my apartment. I'm not opposed to building a temp. controlled chamber, but if there's an easy way to do it without one that would be good to know.

Fridges or freezers are reasonably cheap and efficient for temperature control. You can add a temperature controller and a heating element and run the whole gamut of fermentation temperatures.

As far as setup, I need to put everything on wheels.  Don't know if that is helpful to you Scott - something occasionally happens where I need to hose out and wash out freezers, like a leaky keg or blown fermentation lid.

Good call, that's another thing I hadn't thought of that could be really useful.

Scott Mathews

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 12:02:54 pm »
here's a look at mine - based off theelectricbrewery.com

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=14134.0

Good luck with your setup!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline scottmathews

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 12:09:27 pm »

here's a look at mine - based off theelectricbrewery.com

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=14134.0

Good luck with your setup!

Awesome, looks great. :D This will help a lot.

Scott Mathews

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 12:14:53 pm »
Paul, that is still a gorgeous setup
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 04:34:20 am »
+1 to a utility sink. Really wish I could get one in my condo's garage.

If you go electric, I'd buy or devise some way to disconnect the power cord from the kettle. That's my biggest gripe with my High Gravity system.

That being said, I'm moving away from electric and brewing outside again. When I finish school and move into a house with more brewing space I definitely plan on going electric again, but with my own control design.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline scottmathews

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 11:13:10 am »
I'll be sure to keep that in mind as I'm getting this all set up. Lots of ideas! :D

Scott Mathews

Offline blatz

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 12:14:23 pm »
Paul, that is still a gorgeous setup

thanks guys.

+1000 to a sink - I do okay using the hose, etc, but if I had a sink with a small counter space for a drying rack, that would make it the perfect setup for me.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline FlipMasterFlash

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 02:38:53 pm »
Since I was already into brewing when we built our house I had an opportunity to add a fair bit of stuff.  Here are the things I like.
- as mentioned a sink is awesome to have.  I went with the largest single basin sink that actually fits in a normal counter.  I put it on a 6' laminate counter, would love a bit more counter space but it works well enough.  I used a faucet like you mentioned, looks like what what a commercial kitchen would have.  Was cheap from Ikea and it works quite well as it has good clearance for large items.
- Lighting.  Some good lighting is really nice to have, I've got two sets of florescent lights that hold 4 - 4' bulbs each.  Without some good lighting the corner of the garage gets pretty dark.
- shelf space.  Nice to have all my stuff organized and easy to grab during a brew day.
- if not already there a hose hook up.  Might seem redundant with a sink but a hose hook up is easier for chilling than an adapter off a sink.
- natural gas line.  I considered going electric but already had 2 Blichmann burners that were an easy conversion.  Super nice to not have to deal with propane tanks.  I did wire it for electric if I go that route some day.

Just some things to think about.

Offline scottmathews

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 04:02:18 pm »
All good advice! I really like the idea of running natural gas in there rather than propane, especially since I wouldn't have to convert as much of my equipment. The electrical panel is in the garage as well, so if I needed to wire it for electric it would be really easy, and the water line comes in there as well. Lots of easy access for me!

Sadly the gas hasn't been run from the street to the house yet, so we'll have to do that down the road at some point, and I'll make a point to run lines in there when we do that.
Scott Mathews

RPIScotty

Looking for ideas on a new garage setup
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2016, 04:08:22 pm »
This one is a classic....just sayin....
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 04:11:03 pm by RPIScotty »

Offline scottmathews

• 1st Kit
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2016, 04:12:36 pm »
I'm going to have to work on getting a collection of ribbons to add to mine. :P
Scott Mathews

Offline crakers540

• Cellarman
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 07:16:27 pm »
Agreed with FlipMasterFlash.  Make sure you have good lighting.  I have to plug in lighting for my brew day.  Getting ready to change that by adding additional light fixtures above my brew stove and sink. 

Offline blatz

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2016, 07:17:53 am »

I'm going to have to work on getting a collection of ribbons to add to mine. :P

Gitcha one of these :