Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Firstbatch aftertaste  (Read 3728 times)

Offline JayMiranda

• Cellarman
    • CaliforniaCastaway
Firstbatch aftertaste
« on: January 28, 2016, 12:10:18 am »
What's up guys
So I just poured my first homebrew gotta say the 4 weeks waiting checking on it everyday was worth it. Prying off the first cap knowing I brewed this.
Although I can't help but to sense something's off. I've read it can be an #extract tang" or the temps while fermentation weren't low enough. Is there any way to know for sure?
*Caribou Slobber - Northern Brewer kit
JayMiranda
CaliforniaCastaway

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Firstbatch aftertaste
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 04:02:33 am »
It's hard to say without more of a description and even then descriptions sometimes don't match from person to person.  I noticed your beer doesn't have any head in the picture, is it carbonated yet? 
This link shows 5 common off flavors with descriptions and has a link at the top to part II, to see 5 more. 
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/5-common-homebrew-flavors-fix/
Edit: congrats on your first beer!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 04:05:57 am by JT »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 04:12:30 am »
If you didn't control fermentation temps, aerate properly of have a proper pitch of yeast you most likely will have some off flavors. The good news is you made your first batch of beer! Brewing is a craft, every batch you make for the rest of your brewing career will now be in pursuit of making the next batch better than the last one.

Offline JayMiranda

• Cellarman
    • CaliforniaCastaway
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 04:20:43 am »
It's hard to say without more of a description and even then descriptions sometimes don't match from person to person.  I noticed your beer doesn't have any head in the picture, is it carbonated yet? 
This link shows 5 common off flavors with descriptions and has a link at the top to part II, to see 5 more. 
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/5-common-homebrew-flavors-fix/
Edit: congrats on your first beer!
After reading the link. It sounds like mostly can be described as "skunk".  Would make the most sense in my situation that it may have been "light struck" while fermentation.
As far as the carbonation. I wondered that as well. When bottling I did add the fizz drop and stored in a cabinet in my garage.

So far Ive learned that I need to keep a better eye on the ferm temp. And making sure it's out of the light.
But what can I do about the carbonation?
JayMiranda
CaliforniaCastaway

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 04:25:59 am »
Just give it more time and room temp after bottling.  Is there foam that disappears quickly?  What temp are the bottles being stored at? 

Offline JayMiranda

• Cellarman
    • CaliforniaCastaway
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 04:30:41 am »
Just give it more time and room temp after bottling.  Is there foam that disappears quickly?  What temp are the bottles being stored at?
Once bottles I stored them in my garage at room temp.
There was little foam that did disapear quickly.
When you say give it more time do you mean give it it longer than 2 weeks for bottle conditioning. ?
JayMiranda
CaliforniaCastaway

Offline JayMiranda

• Cellarman
    • CaliforniaCastaway
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 04:35:08 am »
If you didn't control fermentation temps, aerate properly of have a proper pitch of yeast you most likely will have some off flavors. The good news is you made your first batch of beer! Brewing is a craft, every batch you make for the rest of your brewing career will now be in pursuit of making the next batch better than the last one.
You're right now after the first batch I feel now I'm on that path to make sure take every precaution more carefully. Not that I didn't the first time but next time I will take my time go through the steps and figure out what happend.
What do you mean by aerate properly?
JayMiranda
CaliforniaCastaway

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 04:53:06 am »
When you say give it more time do you mean give it it longer than 2 weeks for bottle conditioning. ?
Yes, exactly.  If after you open the first bottle, it seems flat, wait another week before refrigerating the second bottle and so on. 

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster

Offline JayMiranda

• Cellarman
    • CaliforniaCastaway
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 04:59:40 am »
Yes, exactly.  If after you open the first bottle, it seems flat, wait another week before refrigerating the second bottle and so on.
What can I do if I put all 8 in the fridge at once. Being anxious I saw that the 2 weeks recommended was up so put them in asap. Now I know to try one to make sure its done conditioning and go off that.
But for now with 7 left what can I do about those?
JayMiranda
CaliforniaCastaway

Offline JayMiranda

• Cellarman
    • CaliforniaCastaway
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 05:06:02 am »
Aeration:
http://byo.com/malt/item/1894-aerating-wort-techniques

Also did you check out part II of off flavors?
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/5-common-homebrew-flavors-fix-pt-ii/
After siphoning wort into the fermenter I did rock it back and fourth a lot but I should be more rigorous next time to really get some splashing going on.
JayMiranda
CaliforniaCastaway

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 05:07:40 am »
Well... you can drink them!  I suppose you could try taking them out again in hopes that if there is sugar left in the bottles that the yeast may wake up and begin eating again.  But I'd probably just take the note and drink em. 

Offline JayMiranda

• Cellarman
    • CaliforniaCastaway
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 05:13:50 am »
Well... you can drink them!  I suppose you could try taking them out again in hopes that if there is sugar left in the bottles that the yeast may wake up and begin eating again.  But I'd probably just take the note and drink em.
Thanks for the help.
I'll take your advice and just take it in stride.appreciate all the help.
JayMiranda
CaliforniaCastaway

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 05:15:28 am »
No problem, stick with it Jay!  And enjoy those beers!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 10:06:28 am »
I found that 14 days is generally the point where you reach a drinkable level of carbonation, but it takes 3-4 weeks at room temperature to really reach full carbonation.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer