Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Repackaging from 22 oz bottles  (Read 1682 times)

Offline mindbender

• 1st Kit
Repackaging from 22 oz bottles
« on: January 31, 2016, 09:35:47 pm »
I was reading through the NHC rules and regulations and notice that they are not accepting 22 ounce bottles.  I have a couple beers that I'd like to enter but are exclusively packaged and bottle conditioned in larger format.  Have any of you had luck repackaging into 12 ounce bottles?  A couple of these I'm concerned about in that they are a bit older (a 6 month old stout) or a already very dried out brett fruit saison.  I'm thinking I'll need to re-yeast and sugar but I'm concerned about that somewhat in such small volumes.  Any thoughts to share?

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Re: Repackaging from 22 oz bottles
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 10:23:57 am »
If you have some CO2 purge the bottles.  If not I would try to fill from the bottom.  Maybe attach your wand to a funnel.  I would put my cap on and invert the bottle and hold it tight.  Cap on the foam and your fine.  I would do this as close to shipping to the comp as possible.  I've done this before years ago.  It will work, good luck on the entry.
Jeff B

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 04:50:37 am »
I can't imagine trying to repackage carbonated beer from bottle to bottle.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 06:38:05 am »
I too don't really see this working well, especially for a comp where you are trying to submit your best product. If you elect to proceed I would try to do one now and see if it even works, you don't want to submit flat beer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 09:34:13 am »
When you have no other choice, you make it work.  I did it several years ago and faired OK.  Bronze with an American Brown, guess style would help some too.
Jeff B

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 11:28:54 am »
If you have some CO2 purge the bottles.  If not I would try to fill from the bottom.  Maybe attach your wand to a funnel.  I would put my cap on and invert the bottle and hold it tight.  Cap on the foam and your fine.  I would do this as close to shipping to the comp as possible.  I've done this before years ago.  It will work, good luck on the entry.
Good advice, keep as much air out as you can. Make sure the 22 ozbottle is cold, and the the 12 oz bottle is cold to avoid foaming.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 03:14:05 pm »
Do you have a carbonator cap and CO2?  Chill and purge a cleaned and sanitized 2 liter bottle.  Pour the beer into it.  Carbonate it slightly higher than your desired volumes of CO2 using the carbonator cap.  Clean and sanitize the 12 oz bottles and then chill them also.  Pour the cold beer from the 2 liter to the 12 oz bottles and cap quickly.  First saw the idea in Gordon Strong's book.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 06:28:26 pm »
Do you have a carbonator cap and CO2?  Chill and purge a cleaned and sanitized 2 liter bottle.  Pour the beer into it.  Carbonate it slightly higher than your desired volumes of CO2 using the carbonator cap.  Clean and sanitize the 12 oz bottles and then chill them also.  Pour the cold beer from the 2 liter to the 12 oz bottles and cap quickly.  First saw the idea in Gordon Strong's book.
I have done this also.  Try to minimize oxygen and keep everything very cold and it will work.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995