Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Firstbatch aftertaste  (Read 3699 times)

Offline JayMiranda

• Cellarman
    • CaliforniaCastaway
Re: Firstbatch aftertaste
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 04:47:53 pm »
I found that 14 days is generally the point where you reach a drinkable level of carbonation, but it takes 3-4 weeks at room temperature to really reach full carbonation.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
14 days at what temp?
JayMiranda
CaliforniaCastaway

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 04:51:55 pm »
14 days at what temp?

I carb at the temp I plan to serve at. Do you use a pressure/temp chart?  This is a good one:

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php
Jon H.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 07:15:49 pm »
I use the same chart for kegging but he's bottling.  Jay you want to keep them around 70° while bottle conditioning.  Chilling them will drop the yeast, so don't chill em all until you know they're ready.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 07:53:46 pm by JT »

Offline JayMiranda

• Cellarman
    • CaliforniaCastaway
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 08:54:32 pm »
I use the same chart for kegging but he's bottling.  Jay you want to keep them around 70° while bottle conditioning.  Chilling them will drop the yeast, so don't chill em all until you know they're ready.
Got it.. Had me a little confused for a second.
JayMiranda
CaliforniaCastaway

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 12:15:00 am »
You said you had them in the garage.  Were they on the concrete floor?  Concrete will suck the heat right out of the bottles, causing the yeast to be sluggish or even dormant.  This is a very common newbie mistake, so don't feel bad.  LOTS of guys do this.

Put them on TOP of your fridge for a week or so.  The heat goes up off the coils in back and comes out on top across whatever is there.  The yeast will love it up there.

HTH-
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2016, 12:59:25 am »
I found that 14 days is generally the point where you reach a drinkable level of carbonation, but it takes 3-4 weeks at room temperature to really reach full carbonation.

I completely agree. Not just full carbonation after 4 weeks, but the flavors really come together for a finished-tasting beer. Then in the fridge for a week. Patience...

Offline JayMiranda

• Cellarman
    • CaliforniaCastaway
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2016, 01:18:10 am »
You said you had them in the garage.  Were they on the concrete floor?  Concrete will suck the heat right out of the bottles, causing the yeast to be sluggish or even dormant.  This is a very common newbie mistake, so don't feel bad.  LOTS of guys do this.

Put them on TOP of your fridge for a week or so.  The heat goes up off the coils in back and comes out on top across whatever is there.  The yeast will love it up there.

HTH-

No they were in a wooden cabinet that never gets opened.
When I put them on the fridge should I out them in a box or something or just out in the open?
JayMiranda
CaliforniaCastaway

Offline JayMiranda

• Cellarman
    • CaliforniaCastaway
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2016, 01:20:16 am »

I completely agree. Not just full carbonation after 4 weeks, but the flavors really come together for a finished-tasting beer. Then in the fridge for a week. Patience...
Is this just for kegging or for bottling as well because now I'm getting mixed opinions.
I'm bottling if that wasnt made clear earlier in the thread
JayMiranda
CaliforniaCastaway

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2016, 01:24:33 am »

Is this just for kegging or for bottling as well because now I'm getting mixed opinions.
I'm bottling if that wasnt made clear earlier in the thread

Bottling. Though I think "room temperature" might be pushing it, depending on the temp of the room. I'd say fermentation temp (for ales) for 3-4 weeks. Minimum.

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2016, 10:47:05 am »

HTH-

No they were in a wooden cabinet that never gets opened.
When I put them on the fridge should I out them in a box or something or just out in the open?
Yes, put them in a box and close it to keep out the light.  I use a moving box lined with a black trash bag with multiple 6 pack holders inside.  The smaller boxes at Lowes hold 24 bottles.

-Tony

-Tony

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2016, 11:29:06 am »
Fizz drops and other carbonation drops can take up to two weeks to dissolve.  Bring your bottles into an area that is in the 70°F range.  Gently invert the bottles after the beer has warmed to resuspend the yeast.  Wait another two weeks before you chill one for a couple of days to sample.

Make sure your glass has no head killing soap residue.

Caribou Slobber is one of my favorites.  Best when it has bottle conditioned for about 6 weeks.

The off taste may go away after the Slobber is fully conditioned.  If your glass fermentor was in full sunlight then skunk may be correct.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 11:31:34 am by flars »

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2016, 11:53:59 am »
I like to drape a black or navy blue t-shirt over my carboys just to prevent any UV light from getting to the beer.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge