Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How long is too long to see CO2 bubbling from the air lock?  (Read 1946 times)

Offline cmfk

• 1st Kit
How long is too long to see CO2 bubbling from the air lock?
« on: January 28, 2016, 12:33:05 am »
Hey,

First timer. I made my first batch last Saturday evening. The recipe I used was for a Black IPA. The Alcohol content is said to be at 6.8 percent.

Sunday morning I noticed that the yeast (white labs) was already working. I was getting about a bubble every second and a half. I've checked the temp in the room and it's been steady between 68-70 degrees each day. It is Thursday morning and its still going strong with the bubbling. 

I was under the assumption that it would have stopped around 72 hours or so. Is this a problem? 

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
Re: How long is too long to see CO2 bubbling from the air lock?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 04:14:25 am »
You are fine.  Every yeast behaves different. Give it time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 07:44:29 am »
It also matters how much head space you have in the fermenter, and what the pitch rate was, how Oxygenated the wort is, yeast nutrients etc.  All kinds of factors will slow down conversion.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 09:08:30 am »
Fermentation will continue until there is no more fermentable sugars or until the yeast have hit maximum attenuation. Many variables can affect the speed with which either of these limits is reached. The yeast do not work on any timetable but their own.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 09:38:18 am »
Hey,

First timer. I made my first batch last Saturday evening. The recipe I used was for a Black IPA. The Alcohol content is said to be at 6.8 percent.

Sunday morning I noticed that the yeast (white labs) was already working. I was getting about a bubble every second and a half. I've checked the temp in the room and it's been steady between 68-70 degrees each day. It is Thursday morning and its still going strong with the bubbling. 

I was under the assumption that it would have stopped around 72 hours or so. Is this a problem?

Keep in mind that the temp you want is beer temp, not room temp.  That's a pretty warm temp to be fermenting.  Bubbling really tells you very little.  You need to take a gravity reading to find out what's going on.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline cmfk

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 07:39:01 pm »
Thank you to everyone for the help. I just bottled the first batch today and the little bit I tasted was surprisingly good. I was just hoping for "drinkable" but it was encouraging that it was actually pretty decent. Thanks again.

Offline sakarisstora

• 1st Kit
  • mere conjurer of cheap tricks
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 12:52:56 pm »
Rule of thumb:
After chilling the wort and the yeast starts doing it's work, there is never such a thing as too long :)

What you brew in life
echoes in eternity

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 08:25:21 pm »
To the OP - welcome to the forum - really good stuff here...but when you referred to "seeing" the CO2, I thought you had something worked up to make the gas visible!  Remember to let the yeast tell you when they are done - there are all kinds of reasons that an airlock is active or not that don't mean fermentation is or is not occurring.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 07:21:53 pm »
I agree with the posts above. For an example, my most recent brew, which was relatively high gravity, I only saw one bubble but it dropped to 1.010 within 7 days.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline egg

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 04:06:25 am »
I guess I speak for many UK brewers when I say relatively few of us use airlocks on primary, certainly not me.  Gravity is the only real guide, as Denny says.