Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American Dunkel  (Read 1464 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
American Dunkel
« on: December 31, 2019, 01:24:53 pm »
I never thought I’d find American malts that could match German malts in a German style beer.Thanks to Denny and some others who have recommended Mecca Grade Malts. I even like my Dunkel more with the Mecca Grade malts,so I decided to brew it again.I don’t use all American ingredients in this recipe and it would be interesting to use American noble hops and an American Lager yeast.Maybe someone could recommend a yeast strain?Here’s my latest recipe.
8 lbs Metolius (Munich style)
3 lbs Pelton (Pilsner style)
.5 lbs Chocolate
Hallertauer Tradition 25 IBU
WLP 830

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: American Dunkel
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 02:20:06 pm »
I used to be a big fan of Wyeast 2035 American Lager, but it's one of the Private Collection limited release ones now.  Haven't used it in years, but it might have been the first lager yeast I ever used back in the early 90s and I really liked its character.  It supposedly came from August Schell in MN, which long advertised their special house yeast saved from before Prohibition, but I've also read that in recent decades they've switched to different strains, acquired  from different  breweries, for different beers and under different conditions.  Worth trying whenever it comes around, but I don't know when that is.  You can never go wrong with good old 2206 though.  My current go to yeast, although it's German and not American.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 02:30:46 pm »
I used to be a big fan of Wyeast 2035 American Lager, but it's one of the Private Collection limited release ones now.  Haven't used it in years, but it might have been the first lager yeast I ever used back in the early 90s and I really liked its character.  It supposedly came from August Schell in MN, which long advertised their special house yeast saved from before Prohibition, but I've also read that in recent decades they've switched to different strains, acquired  from different  breweries, for different beers and under different conditions.  Worth trying whenever it comes around, but I don't know when that is.  You can never go wrong with good old 2206 though.  My current go to yeast, although it's German and not American.
Thanks for the WY 2035 suggestion.WY 2206 was also my go to yeast for malt forward lagers.Unfortunately,my LHBS doesn’t carry Wyeast anymore just Whitelabs and dry yeasts.

Dan Chisholm

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 02:39:27 pm »
Thanks for the WY 2035 suggestion.WY 2206 was also my go to yeast for malt forward lagers.Unfortunately,my LHBS doesn’t carry Wyeast anymore just Whitelabs and dry yeasts.

You might want to try White Labs 833 for malt forward lagers, if that's the brand your LHBS has.  It might be a viable substitute for 2206 for you.  It doesn't drop clear quite as fast as 2206 does, but the flavor balance is similar.  I like either one better than the 34/70 strains like 2124 and 830. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 02:44:34 pm »
I never thought I’d find American malts that could match German malts in a German style beer.Thanks to Denny and some others who have recommended Mecca Grade Malts. I even like my Dunkel more with the Mecca Grade malts,so I decided to brew it again.I don’t use all American ingredients in this recipe and it would be interesting to use American noble hops and an American Lager yeast.Maybe someone could recommend a yeast strain?Here’s my latest recipe.
.5 lbs Chocolate
WLP 830

I have a cross between a funnel and a bock on tap, made with Metolius and Pelton.  Amazing malt depth.  Glad you're enjoying them!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 04:02:37 pm »
.5 lbs Chocolate
WLP 830

I have a cross between a funnel and a bock on tap, made with Metolius and Pelton.  Amazing malt depth.  Glad you're enjoying them!

That something I would type. Autocorrect strikes again.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 04:12:55 pm »
.5 lbs Chocolate
WLP 830

That something I would type. Autocorrect strikes again.

;D. You'd think after all these years I'd be better at typing on this tablet
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell