Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Trappist Single recipe  (Read 10209 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Trappist Single recipe
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 02:42:23 pm »
I don't see an issue using caramunich in a single, but definitely not that much.  I would reduce it to at most 4 oz.  You want just a touch of sweetness and color from it. Not much more. Definitely ditch the carafa. A roast malt should not be in a trappist single. This is a light, easy drinking table beer meant to be consumed.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 04:33:56 pm »
I appreciate all the comments!

I did a little more research on the T-58. The best I can tell it is from Brasserie Dupont. Most folks that reviewed it on other sites either loved it (5 stars) or hated it (1 star).  Most say it is a vigorous fermenter.  Some say it adds a lot (too much?) peppery/apple-y/etc but the overbearing flavors fade into "character" with age.  In my mind, this age requirement plays to the theory that it was originally a red wine strain that has been adapted to beer fermentation. 

Exactly why I posted my thoughts = to get great feedback. You've given me a lot to consider.  Thanks folks!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 06:24:28 am by BrewBama »

RPIScotty

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 06:23:08 am »

I appreciate all the comments!

I did a little more research on the T-58. The best I can tell it is from Brasserie Dupont.

It may just make a great beer but it won't be appropriate for the style.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2016, 06:34:16 am »

I do not disagree.  I believe T-58 is a Saison yeast which is probably where I'll end up.  However, a wise brewer told me "I certainly only think that style guides should be used as a starting point, and in no way should they be a mold we craft all of our beer by." 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2016, 06:42:42 am »

I do not disagree.  I believe T-58 is a Saison yeast which is probably where I'll end up.  However, a wise brewer told me "I certainly only think that style guides should be used as a starting point, and in no way should they be a mold we craft all of our beer by."

Sorry I missed you yesterday. Next time I'll have the yeast ready and let someone know you are coming. I will be popping down there around 11 today if you want to try again.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2016, 09:03:25 am »
In my opinion, t58 is not a saison yeast however it does attenuate pretty well. I have used it with good success in wits and have considered Belgian pale ales and even something similar to what you have in mind. I tried a saison with it once and it didn't seem to fit the bill...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2016, 10:03:28 am »
Personally I think T-58 is most akin to the witbier strains out there although these strains are really not that far off from saison strains in many aspects.

T-58 is fruitier if you let it ferment warmer but still not the fermentation profile that immediately makes me think of one of the trappist beers.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline adamjoyce

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2019, 08:35:29 am »
Our Trappist Single is just 100% Belgian Pilsner, Saaz to 25-30 IBUs, and a healthy pitch of WY3522. No need to make it more complicated than that.

Totally agree. Mine is the same basically - all Dingemanns, Saaz or Hallertau @ 25 IBU, and either 3522 or 3787. Done.

Just about every recipe I have seen uses a crap load of white sugar in the end of boil.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2019, 09:06:47 am »
Our Trappist Single is just 100% Belgian Pilsner, Saaz to 25-30 IBUs, and a healthy pitch of WY3522. No need to make it more complicated than that.

Totally agree. Mine is the same basically - all Dingemanns, Saaz or Hallertau @ 25 IBU, and either 3522 or 3787. Done.

Just about every recipe I have seen uses a crap load of white sugar in the end of boil.

In a single?  I could see it in stronger styles, but I'm not so sure about this one.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

Trappist Single recipe
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2019, 12:13:32 pm »
Your partner in crime uses a pound (of turbinado) in his along with the Carafa that alarmed everyone (LOL): https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/patersbier-the-lawnmower-beer-of-trappist-monks/

A lot of water under the bridge since this initial post. If I recall, I ditched Drew’s recipe and settled on base + .5 lb victory + 30 IBU(s) of Saaz.

I never did get that pitch of yeast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 12:31:02 pm by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2019, 12:48:42 pm »
Your partner in crime uses a pound (of turbinado) in his along with the Carafa that alarmed everyone (LOL): https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/patersbier-the-lawnmower-beer-of-trappist-monks/

A lot of water under the bridge since this initial post. If I recall, I ditched Drew’s recipe and settled on base + .5 lb victory + 30 IBU(s) of Saaz.

Proof that he's not always right!  :)  Seriously, just because I don't do it, doesn't mean others can't.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2019, 02:04:43 pm »

Proof that he's not always right!  :)  Seriously, just because I don't do it, doesn't mean others can't.

Absolutely.

Offline JonathanEL

• 1st Kit
    • 256 Brewers
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2019, 08:53:33 am »
Dragging up old post.... but did you consider using BE-256? Don't think it was out when you originally posted.
Jolly Lizard Brewing
256 Brewers Homebrew Club
2018 AHA Bronze - Schwarzbier
2022 AHA Silver - Piwo Grodziskie