Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Possible bottle bombs?  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Scratch66

• 1st Kit
Possible bottle bombs?
« on: February 22, 2016, 11:14:01 am »
I just bottled 4.75 gallons of "Creeping Terror". I used 5 ounces of corn sugar in the priming bucket. When I got down to the last half-gallon I could see undissolved sugar on the bottom. I estimate about an ounce (!). Obviously I didn't stir long enough.  :(
Question is: Will this batch be badly under-carbonated or will some be under and some (the last bottled) be bombs?
I boxed the one liter bail-tops in a box, the last half gallon in a screw-top growler and set the whole thing in the downstairs bath tub. My thinking being if the beer goes critical mass, I can at least contain the mess.
Any thoughts?

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Possible bottle bombs?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 11:24:17 am »
I just bottled 4.75 gallons of "Creeping Terror". I used 5 ounces of corn sugar in the priming bucket. When I got down to the last half-gallon I could see undissolved sugar on the bottom. I estimate about an ounce (!). Obviously I didn't stir long enough.  :(
Question is: Will this batch be badly under-carbonated or will some be under and some (the last bottled) be bombs?
I boxed the one liter bail-tops in a box, the last half gallon in a screw-top growler and set the whole thing in the downstairs bath tub. My thinking being if the beer goes critical mass, I can at least contain the mess.
Any thoughts?
It does seem likely that there will be a big difference in the carb levels. Those 5 oz packets are quite a bit of sugar so most might be about right and the very end over carbed. Did you say the last half gallon was in a growlwerr? I would loosen the cover and keep a towel over it. The rest might be fine.
Two pieces of advice for next time: put priming solution in bottling bucket first (and still very warm so it mixes well) and rack from fermenter onto it and you don't need to mix, it will take care of itself. Also, instead of using 5oz pack of corn sugar us an online priming sugar calculator.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Scratch66

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 11:43:33 am »
Thanks Pete! I loosened the cap on the growler and set it in a stainless boil pot.I set the pot lid on and crossed my fingers. Should be an interesting party in about 5 weeks...

Offline kristiismean

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 12:46:43 pm »
I think you will be fine.  the bottles might take a little longer to carbonate as well. 

I add the boiled water/sugar mix to the bottling bucket first as well, then rack it in.  but i also keep a paddle in the bottling bucket and give it a little stir (and try not to add oxygen) around every 7-10 bottles.  I have had most of my beers carbonate in about the same time (we try the first bottle, middle bottle and last bottle at the 2 week mark).

I normally would never carb in a growler, but if it's the stainless one, it should take 15 psi.  screw it up tight, and maybe in 5 days release just a little pressure..  (be careful, never point the lid towards your face, etc etc treat it like a champagne bottle)

(also, I am no expert, only been doing this for a little over a year, extract only, around 145 gallons (1400 bottles)