Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Adjusting Mash PH  (Read 1803 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Adjusting Mash PH
« on: January 29, 2016, 10:21:47 am »
For my next brew I am going to test and hopefully adjust if necessary, PH. I have a few questions...

-I am going to brew an English Mild (80% MO, 16% C60, 4% Chocolate Malt) . Does this style lend to a particular PH level? 5.5 for example.

-I'm relying on Brunwater for the initial salt additions. At what points during the brewery (batch sparging) would I be checking the PH?

-How would I adjust on the fly if I need to lower it? I have lactic acid, gypsum, and Calcium Chloride at my disposal.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 10:50:51 am by flbrewer »

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
Re: Adjusting Mash PH
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 10:42:04 am »
I would advocate checking the mash pH, after about 10-15 minutes of achieving a stable temperature.
If you are single-infusion mashing, Martin's spreadsheet should give you an incredibly accurate prediction of what you can expect.

Make sure you are mashing for the grain you are using...Not necessarily the style you are brewing.
Obviously, you want to take guidelines & typical characteristics into account...
But, your particular malt will demand steps that allow you to achieve those characteristics.

For adjustment on the fly, lactic acid is probably your quickest tool.
But, you may end up being able to taste its roughness in the finished product.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 10:51:18 am »
I would advocate checking the mash pH, after about 10-15 minutes of achieving a stable temperature.
If you are single-infusion mashing, Martin's spreadsheet should give you an incredibly accurate prediction of what you can expect.

Make sure you are mashing for the grain you are using...Not necessarily the style you are brewing.
Obviously, you want to take guidelines & typical characteristics into account...
But, your particular malt will demand steps that allow you to achieve those characteristics.

For adjustment on the fly, lactic acid is probably your quickest tool.
But, you may end up being able to taste its roughness in the finished product.
Updated grist bill above, FYI.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 10:54:14 am »
I tend to shoot right at 5.4 for my milds.

Check your mash pH at 10 or 15 minutes, but I know some folk check right after grain in. If it is outside your target pH, then check again in 5-10 minutes. I pre-calculate the addition needed to move the pH up 0.1 or down 0.1 so I have an idea of what I might need. At that 20-25 minute mark I would make a small adjustment (only if needed) and extend the mash period about 10-15 minutes. Then confirm - but an adjustment should be made to save a batch that is outside 5.2-5.6 range, in my opinion. I am being very general here - because I don't know your system. After any addition, make sure to thoroughly incorporate into the mash. I try not to adjust more than 0.1 because I don't want to keep chasing my tail.

Your list will only lower mash pH. Using the lactic acid will provide the faster and more precise adjustment. A little baking soda will raise mash pH if you need it. I have seen some really acidic mild recipes so keep that in mind.

I usually measure mash, pre-boil pH and wort pH cast out into the fermenter. I keep these in my BWS spreadsheet notes and BeerSmith - so that I can make any additional adjustment necessary the next time I brew that recipe.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 02:59:07 pm »
I tend to shoot right at 5.4 for my milds.

Check your mash pH at 10 or 15 minutes, but I know some folk check right after grain in. If it is outside your target pH, then check again in 5-10 minutes. I pre-calculate the addition needed to move the pH up 0.1 or down 0.1 so I have an idea of what I might need. At that 20-25 minute mark I would make a small adjustment (only if needed) and extend the mash period about 10-15 minutes. Then confirm - but an adjustment should be made to save a batch that is outside 5.2-5.6 range, in my opinion. I am being very general here - because I don't know your system. After any addition, make sure to thoroughly incorporate into the mash. I try not to adjust more than 0.1 because I don't want to keep chasing my tail.

Your list will only lower mash pH. Using the lactic acid will provide the faster and more precise adjustment. A little baking soda will raise mash pH if you need it. I have seen some really acidic mild recipes so keep that in mind.

I usually measure mash, pre-boil pH and wort pH cast out into the fermenter. I keep these in my BWS spreadsheet notes and BeerSmith - so that I can make any additional adjustment necessary the next time I brew that recipe.

THis ^^^^^^