Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CO2 woes  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
CO2 woes
« on: February 05, 2016, 10:55:57 pm »
 I expanded from a 2 to a 4 keg capacity keezer 2 years ago. At that time I got a couple of kits and just teed off of the existing gas lines so I could have 2 beers on tap and 2 conditioning.  About 4 months ago I had to replace the regulator, so went ahead and got a 4 port manifold and all new gas lines. I also exchanged my CO2 cylinder which was almost empty.

Got everything assembled and when I hooked the regulator up to the cylinder and began to turn it on, found that the tank valve leaked around the stem as soon as I began to open it. Back to my LHBS, 60 miles away, to get another tank.

It wasn't more than a week later that I ran out of CO2, so got another exchange cylinder and started leak checking. Found the o ring for the lid on a keg leaking, so replaced it. A week or so later, ran out of CO2 again. Got yet another tank and leak checked again. Found one of the check valves on the manifold leaking around the stem when the valve was turned on. Waited a few days for a replacement and installed it.

It's been a couple of months and no more problems. Pulled out an empty keg this morning to clean and keg a batch. Noticed the high pressure gauge was almost bottomed out and, as I moved a gas line out of the way, heard a hiss. A couple of weeks back I had done a thorough cleaning and replaced all O rings on this, the last keg I refilled, and had only hand tightened the posts.

Luckily I'm going to my LHBS Tuesday for supplies so won't need to make a special trip just for CO2. And, yes I did buy a spare tank and o ring kits for all of the kegs.

If there's a defect on the shelf, I will end up with it. I'm used to that, but getting old and forgetful is going to be a new challenge. Hopefully this will make someones problems seem smaller.

Happy brewing!

Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Re: CO2 woes
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 08:24:23 am »
Every time I fill a keg and get it sealed with pressure, I spray a little StarSan on the fittings to make sure there are no leaks.  I lost my 75/25 tank once to a leaking stem.  PIA to turn around and lug it back.  Once I started lubing my orings it helped me too. 
Jeff B

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: CO2 woes
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 12:58:16 pm »
Every time I fill a keg and get it sealed with pressure, I spray a little StarSan on the fittings to make sure there are no leaks.  I lost my 75/25 tank once to a leaking stem.  PIA to turn around and lug it back.  Once I started lubing my orings it helped me too.

I do lube the o rings and spray around the lid with Starsan as well. I haven't been spraying around the posts except to sanitize prior to hooking up the gas and beer lines. I will start doing that again after pressurizing.

Thanks for the tip. 

Bob
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV