Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: urgent puzzled newbie kegger question  (Read 3019 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
urgent puzzled newbie kegger question
« on: January 30, 2016, 01:29:20 am »
This morning I was woken by my Pristine Precious with the announcement that my beer tap was leaking beer all over the floor. And so here is my question: why the f* did I ever start with all this sh*?
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Re: urgent puzzled newbie kegger question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 04:48:16 am »
Not sure if this is why it happened, but ensure you have Oetiker clamps on any hose connections. They are a life saver.

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 06:05:22 am »
What type of tap are you using and what pressure. 

I have been kegging for a little over a year and feel your pain. I woke up to the same and it was a leaky picnic tap.  It will take you a while to work the kinks out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 06:06:45 am »
That's happened to a lot of us keggers over the years. Beer can leak from loose clamps, fittings, leaky posts, and quick disconnects. Easy solution? Disconnect your liquid (beer) line from the keg at the end of the day, then reconnect when you want to pour. The first time I lost a keg of beer all over the floor was also the last.
Jon H.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 06:36:16 am »

I have been kegging for a little over a year and feel your pain. I woke up to the same and it was a leaky picnic tap.  It will take you a while to work the kinks out.

it's this one, without a line: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=25689.msg330988#msg330988

The "compensator" lever was open just a tiny little bit, and apparently that was enough for a leak. Not too much, about half a liter or so but the beer gets in all the nooks and crannies.
Frank P.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 06:37:37 am »
Easy solution? Disconnect your liquid (beer) line from the keg at the end of the day, then reconnect when you want to pour.

I think in this case I'm a fast learner...
Frank P.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 07:04:41 am »

it's this one, without a line: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=25689.msg330988#msg330988

The "compensator" lever was open just a tiny little bit, and apparently that was enough for a leak. Not too much, about half a liter or so but the beer gets in all the nooks and crannies.
I have a similar setup. Are you saying the tap (top lever) was closed but it leaked because the compensator lever wasn't off? That's scary.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 07:11:10 am »
Yep. The top lever can be pulled backward and forward, and I think it was not completely vertical.
Frank P.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 08:45:05 am »
So no-one has an answer to my original question?  :(
Frank P.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 08:51:10 am »
Because it beats the hell out of sanitizing and filling 50 bottles. Just my opinion though.  ;)
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 09:07:30 am »
Because it beats the hell out of sanitizing and filling 50 bottles. Just my opinion though.  ;)
+1
I'll also add that there is a possibility that your poppit is not properly seated or plugged up preventing the gas from flowing properly, it happens sometimes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 10:07:52 am »
Yep.  And going to the fridge for a fresh draft pour is just awesome.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 10:39:48 am »
So no-one has an answer to my original question?  :(

I mulled this question over the last week while doing other research. I have asked this question as well.  I poked around to see if this dissertation had been cited in the Forum, and apparently not:

Murray, D. W. (2011). Home brewing and serious leisure: A mixed methods examination (Doctoral dissertation, Auburn University).

Murray states that past the beginner level, motivation to continue a hobby includes "the requirement that the activity involves overcoming hardships and difficulty, often necessitated in attaining competence coupled with a significant investment in goal-related behavior over time" (p. 18). I've seen similar claims in other scholarly materials related to motivation for leisure activities.

If you go back to the first time you bottled, you were probably excited that you were actually making beer! In bottles! But it likely didn't take long for your interest in bottling to plateau. Once you get past basic issues such as sanitation, measuring sugar by weight versus volume, using a capper, etc., bottling is... bottling. The laborious "laundry" of homebrewing.

There's plenty to suggest on the Forum and elsewhere that kegging requires a level of expertise that separates keggers from homebrew beginners, which itself is motivation enough for a hobbyist. This week, I'm excited that I appear to have no leaks or other errors in my first kegging attempt -- to the point where when I get home from work or even a shopping trip I make a beeline to look at the regulator, and have repeatedly tested the beer despite my intention to "set and forget" for at least a week. I am not sure what comes after kegging, except more kegs, but since it lacks the time-intensive drudgework of bottling, there's no *de*-motivating factor. But meanwhile, the frustration appears to be actually part of the motivation.

Sorry for this nerdy response... literature searches on this have been a side hobby for me this week.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 12:04:33 pm »
Why are you coming forward only now, after all this time? In order to get my frustration levels down to that of a suckling puppy I had to buy an expensive beergun, and now I have started bottling again from my kegs.  :( :( :(
Frank P.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 12:12:16 pm »
Why are you coming forward only now, after all this time? In order to get my frustration levels down to that of a suckling puppy I had to buy an expensive beergun, and now I have started bottling again from my kegs.  :( :( :(

Buying a beer gun is a great purchase anyway IMO. Gives you a lot of flexibilty. If I have beer(s) in fermenters that I'm excited to get on tap I'll bottle partial kegs to make room. Great to be able to fill bottles for comps or gifts on short notice too.   ;)
Jon H.