Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Slam 2016  (Read 1969 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Hop Slam 2016
« on: February 04, 2016, 07:17:31 pm »
I bought a 6 yesterday (excited about cans) but haven't had one yet. I went out to east yesterday and had it on tap. It's always had the alcohol burn at 10%, but this seemed much more boozy than past years. Maybe it will be better in cans.

I also find it funny how 5-6 years ago when I started drinking craft beers, I was told this was the money beer. I had finally found it and bought it all (like 2 cases). I drank it forever. It was the best beer ever. Now I just buy a 6 each year just for the novelty. Either the competition has caught up, it's gone downhill, my palette has changed, or all of the above.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Hop Slam 2016
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 07:20:52 pm »
I also find it funny how 5-6 years ago when I started drinking craft beers, I was told this was the money beer. I had finally found it and bought it all (like 2 cases). I drank it forever. It was the best beer ever. Now I just buy a 6 each year just for the novelty. Either the competition has caught up, it's gone downhill, my palette has changed, or all of the above.

I feel the same, Frank. It's a combination of all those IMO. Honestly it's too syrupy sweet and cloying for me now. Can't have more than one, if all of one. Drier is better.
Jon H.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 07:24:53 pm »

I feel the same, Frank. It's a combination of all those IMO. Honestly it's too syrupy sweet and cloying for me now. Can't have more than one, if all of one. Drier is better.
I agree. It tastes more like an American Barleywine because of the heavy body.
Dan Chisholm

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 07:44:08 pm »
On draft at my local it had low aromatics and was hot. Let me say that place has good line cleaning, and beers are always in good shape.

I had some in Kalamazoo from a can less tha a week later. Very nice hop aroma, smooth with no heat.

Larry Bell has said they made >10,000 bbls. They have 50 and 200 bbl systems in Galesburg. Does one think they all are the same?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 07:54:06 pm »
On draft at my local it had low aromatics and was hot. Let me say that place has good line cleaning, and beers are always in good shape.

I had some in Kalamazoo from a can less tha a week later. Very nice hop aroma, smooth with no heat.

Larry Bell has said they made >10,000 bbls. They have 50 and 200 bbl systems in Galesburg. Does one think they all are the same?

I don't have a big problem with the variation, Jeff. What I should've said more clearly is that my tastes have changed more than anything. Even the Hopslam with great hop character (the norm) is overly dextrinous to me and more like an American barleywine (like Dan said), a style that I like. I just have a hard time having more than one now.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 08:24:06 pm »

I don't have a big problem with the variation, Jeff. What I should've said more clearly is that my tastes have changed more than anything. Even the Hopslam with great hop character (the norm) is overly dextrinous to me and more like an American barleywine (like Dan said), a style that I like. I just have a hard time having more than one now.
More the higher ABV for me.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Hop Slam 2016
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 07:15:44 am »
I agree.  Almost identical feelings and path of experience with it as fmader , but now I don't even buy it - in the past 4-5 years it's  been a let down with its overly syrupy malt body and the hop aromatics have only been there for me in the freshest of fresh examples.  When I want an American barleywine, I'll pick up a 4pk of either Bigfoot or Old Ruffian for the same price that my local store charges for a single 12oz bottle of HS
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 11:51:25 am »
I agree.  Almost identical feelings and path of experience with it as fmader , but now I don't even buy it - in the past 4-5 years it's  been a let down with its overly syrupy malt body and the hop aromatics have only been there for me in the freshest of fresh examples.  When I want an American barleywine, I'll pick up a 4pk of either Bigfoot or Old Ruffian for the same price that my local store charges for a single 12oz bottle of HS

Speaking of Bigfoot.... The 2016 addition is killer!
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 11:54:03 am »

Speaking of Bigfoot.... The 2016 addition is killer!

Yes it is ! Love that stuff.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 07:20:49 pm »
I just poured a can. It's much smoother than what I had on tap. But still not what I thought it used to be. Lol sounds like Dennis Green "They are who we thought they were."
Frank