Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Crazy fermenter pic  (Read 2300 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Crazy fermenter pic
« on: January 31, 2016, 10:51:54 am »
This morning I woke up to a double layer of bubbles in the fermenter (krausen and another layer sever inches above).

The picture above was taken 17 hours after pitching yeast slurry.  I believe the layer up top is a fine layer bubbles created by a long mix stir session. When fermentation started CO2 must have pushed those white bubbles up and suspended them several inches above the krausen. 

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Crazy fermenter pic
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 09:26:33 pm »
That is cool.  I've never seen that.  But I can't see it now as I ferment in stainless steel.  I do miss watching things.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline 4swan

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 06:25:37 am »
The top layer looks like starsan to me.  But, I've never had it survive the addition of wort.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 06:38:16 am »
I agree, looks like star San or left over froth from when you filled the vessel and it stuck there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 07:11:19 am »
Yeah, that's gotta be Starsan. It didn't take me long to stop missing being able to watch the fermenting beer once I switched to kegs and buckets to ferment in. I'm pretty glad to be done with glass.
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 07:14:05 am »
Yeah, totally looks like star san. And I'm glad to be done with glass, too.
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 11:42:25 am »
That's a plastic fermenter, fellas. I'll be honest I got it just so I could watch the action.

Re: Starsan. I did sanitize with Starsan but I don't think there was any noticeable Starsan bubbles after mix stir. I mix stirred the heck out of it. The entire beer volume was one giant white foam. It could have been Starsan sitting on top of the mix stir foam but I just assumed it was all mix stir foam. Mix stir related foam can be very persistent. It always seems to last until the krausen consumes it.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 12:24:41 pm »
Oh I know it's plastic, I'm not blind! Someone had mentioned being able to see fermentation, ie using a clear fermenter, and most are glass, so that's why I jumped to glass. I figure if I'm using plastic, it's going to be buckets as they're crazy easy to use all around. Except prying the lids off, which I had a lid removal tool for.

It is odd that the starsan foam would be up where it is, yeah, but I don't know how it could be anything else.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 12:26:22 pm by beersk »
Jesse