Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Crazy Idea  (Read 1959 times)

Offline sethdc

• 1st Kit
Crazy Idea
« on: February 08, 2016, 07:38:06 pm »
I just recently started brewing, but I've been making bread forever so I get the yeast thing.  Please humor me.

What happens if I take two American Pale Ale No Boil Complete 5 gallon beer kits and combine them to make 5 gallons - essentially doubling everything with 5 gallons.  Is the beer going to be really strong, really awful, will the FBI visit the wreckage of my house?

Offline crakers540

• Cellarman
Re: Crazy Idea
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 07:57:57 pm »
A couple of concerns;

1)  I am not familiar with no boils - I would be concerned with unwanted microbial contamination.
2)  With the higher gravity that you will have from "doubling" everything, the yeast may not be able to completely ferment all the sugars you are offering them.  May lead to an incomplete fermentation.

Offline sethdc

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 08:05:27 pm »
Thank you.

No boil is fine the first two batches with no contamination and I've read that it's not a problem if you use common sense, use good sanitation, etc.

The second point is very interesting and maybe I'll use yeast nutrient?

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 09:05:46 pm »
I think you can get away with it. But ya you would definitely need double the yeast. And by no boil so you mean pre-hopped malt extract? The kind you just have to add hot water to dissolve then top off with cold to hit your volume?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 09:22:35 pm »
I found this kit on Amazon.

Premium American Pale Ale No Boil Complete Beer Kit, Makes 5-6 gallons https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N39VB76/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_tKwUwb7BGDRMY

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 09:40:47 pm »

What happens if I take two American Pale Ale No Boil Complete 5 gallon beer kits and combine them to make 5 gallons
You'll make really strong beer if it works.  If it doesn't you'll make a high alcohol syrupy mess. 
You have a strong chance of making something very bitter, or with too much "specialty malt" flavor (roast, caramel, etc).  Doubling recipes works if you increase all the ingregients, including water.  Doubling all the ingredients EXCEPT the water may overload the beer with hops or specialty malt.
Make sure the yeast you use has high alcohol tolerance.  If you get through primary fermentation and you're bottling, there's a chance that the yeast may give you the middle finger and go on strike, leaving you with flat beer.
Consider just adding some simple sugar to your recipe to boost gravity: try a cup or two for starters.
Or don't.  It's only beer.  I did a "high gravity" beer for my second extract batch.  Turned into lawn fertilizer.  I learned some things.  I tried tripling the amount of crystal malt in a beer for my second all grain batch.  Turned into lawn fertilizer.  I learned some things. 
Years later, I'm still learning with each batch, but make much less fertilizer!

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 10:09:48 am »

What happens if I take two American Pale Ale No Boil Complete 5 gallon beer kits and combine them to make 5 gallons
You'll make really strong beer if it works.  If it doesn't you'll make a high alcohol syrupy mess. 
You have a strong chance of making something very bitter, or with too much "specialty malt" flavor (roast, caramel, etc).  Doubling recipes works if you increase all the ingregients, including water.  Doubling all the ingredients EXCEPT the water may overload the beer with hops or specialty malt.
Make sure the yeast you use has high alcohol tolerance.  If you get through primary fermentation and you're bottling, there's a chance that the yeast may give you the middle finger and go on strike, leaving you with flat beer.
Consider just adding some simple sugar to your recipe to boost gravity: try a cup or two for starters.
Or don't.  It's only beer.  I did a "high gravity" beer for my second extract batch.  Turned into lawn fertilizer.  I learned some things.  I tried tripling the amount of crystal malt in a beer for my second all grain batch.  Turned into lawn fertilizer.  I learned some things. 

Just curious JT....how does the lawn look?
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 10:38:15 am »

Just curious JT....how does the lawn look?
+1
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline sethdc

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 11:50:48 am »
Hey everyone, thank you for the great comments and feedback.  I'm going to be sure to double the yeast, add 3 pounds of honey or maple syrup, some bitter orange, and will ferment the carboy in a safe to contain the blast.

I will let you know how it works out assuming that I survive.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 08:46:09 am »
The problem is not whether you survive fermentation unless you are sealing your fermentor. The risk to your survival comes when the top of the fermentor pops off and sprays beer all over the ceiling.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 09:07:18 am »
I'm going to assume the Pale Ale OG is around 1.050 so if you double that it will be around 1.100 which is a relatively high gravity beer but certainly not unheard of. What you will be making is a barlywine, basically. Make sure you pitch plenty of yeast and aerate well or you will have an under attenuated 5 gallon mess.