Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash Tun  (Read 2623 times)

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Mash Tun
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 04:10:15 pm »
Even if you don't lose significant heat with a ginormous cooler, those things are a real pain to clean. They're heavy and unwieldy, and scream about pending back strain. I use the smallest tun that will hold my mash, either a 48, 70, or kayak size.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Mash Tun
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 09:10:28 am »
Well when Denny says long term it's better to get a smaller cooler, I think I have to listen to the man.

True, and based on that I'll probably start with a 48-quart, and get a 70 quart after I've a better idea how to ferment 10 gallons at a time.

I'm just curious about the underlying physics of it all. More insulated area to lose heat through makes sense, but brings up the question of is it better to buy a large high-end cooler rather than spend the money on two? (I'm thinking the answer is likely no, but what fun is that?)

It would seem that a smaller cooler that is fuller will have a larger thermal mass, and therefore be more resistant to temp change, than a larger cooler that's not as full and has a smaller thermal mass. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell