Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2016 NHC  (Read 29590 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: 2016 NHC
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2016, 08:06:38 pm »
I realize it's nearly meaningless to most brewers but it's a huge milestone to me. Next year I'll be all in LOL

Not meaningless at all. It's never a lock to move one on, even when the beer's really good. Always feels good. I'm in a slump. gotta bust out next year !
I know a couple guys won a gold medal with a third place first round beer.

I have been in a long slump, but there is next year.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2016, 08:18:31 pm »
I realize it's nearly meaningless to most brewers but it's a huge milestone to me. Next year I'll be all in LOL

Not meaningless at all. It's never a lock to move one on, even when the beer's really good. Always feels good. I'm in a slump. gotta bust out next year !
I know a couple guys won a gold medal with a third place first round beer.

I have been in a long slump, but there is next year.
Oh, way to put the stress on!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2016, 08:45:02 pm »
Nicely done Jim, and Darkside, you CRUSHED IT!!!  4/4 is incredible.  Looking forward to see what everyone's scores are like. Congratulations!
Thanks! I realize it's nearly meaningless to most brewers but it's a huge milestone to me. Next year I'll be all in LOL

If moving on is meaningless, I don't know what to say.  Congrats to you.

I'm still pleased with my 1st round third place stout from last year, but hopeful for another one or two to advance this year.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2016, 08:59:56 pm »
Nicely done Jim, and Darkside, you CRUSHED IT!!!  4/4 is incredible.  Looking forward to see what everyone's scores are like. Congratulations!
Thanks! I realize it's nearly meaningless to most brewers but it's a huge milestone to me. Next year I'll be all in LOL

I'm still pleased with my 1st round third place stout from last year, but hopeful for another one or two to advance this year.
Maybe not meaningless, but I think we have some brewers here who go to finals routinely.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2016, 11:53:05 am »

Maybe not meaningless, but I think we have some brewers here who go to finals routinely.

Yes, but even getting into the final round routinely brings lots of disappointments. At least it has for me, for years. I look at it as a fun way to compete with some of the best brewers in the country and if I can get at least one beer through to the final round, then that makes it all the more exciting. 

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2016, 03:39:44 pm »

Yes, but even getting into the final round routinely brings lots of disappointments. At least it has for me, for years. I look at it as a fun way to compete with some of the best brewers in the country and if I can get at least one beer through to the final round, then that makes it all the more exciting.
For sure! Having one advance in a year that you can be there at the banquet would make it even more fun. Which Terri and I hope to do next year!

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #111 on: March 28, 2016, 09:38:12 am »

For sure! Having one advance in a year that you can be there at the banquet would make it even more fun. Which Terri and I hope to do next year!

Congratulations Jim!

I've got a 3rd place American Barleywine moving on with your Stout!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #112 on: March 28, 2016, 10:04:54 am »

Next year should be a 'flyover' state year, I believe.  Fingers crossed that I get at least one through this year since I'm going to be in Baltimore.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2016, 03:32:51 pm »

Congratulations Jim!

I've got a 3rd place American Barleywine moving on with your Stout!
Awesome!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2016, 03:33:48 pm »

Next year should be a 'flyover' state year, I believe.  Fingers crossed that I get at least one through this year since I'm going to be in Baltimore.
That's what I was thinking. Time will tell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #115 on: March 28, 2016, 03:35:34 pm »
Got scores in the mail today for Indy. The best was a 41 for my 30A cider.  I didn't move on, so there were clearly some great ciders here. Kudos to Michael and those who did !
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2016, 04:57:03 pm »
Some okay scores for me.  Besides the old ale advancing, my biere de garde and vienna lager both went to mini-bos, but those were the bottles that busted in transit and they only had one to judge both rounds for.  Oh well, better luck next time.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #117 on: March 28, 2016, 05:37:03 pm »
Got scores in the mail today for Indy. The best was a 41 for my 30A cider.  I didn't move on, so there were clearly some great ciders here. Kudos to Michael and those who did !

I didn't get mine yet. I've been anxious to see my scores. Maybe tomorrow.
Frank

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #118 on: March 28, 2016, 07:34:08 pm »
Got mine today. Excellent score sheets. Both beers got judged by grand masters who both gave the higher score. I'm pleased and planning improvements already!

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2016, 06:38:35 am »

Nice cider score; if you've got a spare $20 you might send the 3 bottles you would have sent to Finals to GLINTCAP instead.