Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2016 NHC  (Read 29287 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: 2016 NHC
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2016, 12:06:36 pm »
Susan will steward, I will judge at Indy. We are there a few nights, that also gives me chance to see one of my brothers - and to stop at Claus's Market for some German style meats.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2016, 12:20:45 pm »
and to stop at Claus's Market for some German style meats.

Amen to that. Awesome stuff !
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2016, 03:54:34 pm »
Susan will steward, I will judge at Indy. We are there a few nights, that also gives me chance to see one of my brothers - and to stop at Claus's Market for some German style meats.

What dates does judging partake in Indy?
Frank

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2016, 06:07:45 pm »

March 11-12.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2016, 12:52:04 pm »

March 11-12.

Got 5 entries into Indy as well.  I am pretty impressed that they will be able to get everything organized and ready to judge in just 2 days as the final delivery date is 3/9.  Good luck to all!

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2016, 05:46:39 am »
If I understand it right, I can enter multiple subcategories within a category. Just not the same subcategory? So, all other things being equal, would it improve my chances of moving at least one beer forward by keeping all entries in one category or by spreading them out.

Not that I have the beers to do this with. Just curious how the math works out.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2016, 06:14:11 am »
Depends...  if you only want Gold medals, then only enter one per Cat.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2016, 06:50:53 am »
If I understand it right, I can enter multiple subcategories within a category. Just not the same subcategory? So, all other things being equal, would it improve my chances of moving at least one beer forward by keeping all entries in one category or by spreading them out.

Not that I have the beers to do this with. Just curious how the math works out.

In my experience, you have a better chance of spreading out your entries into different categories. Obviously some categories are very entry heavy and difficult to advance in (looking at you Stouts, IPA's, Belgians, Specialty, etc). While others are not as entry laden and a bit easier to medal in. But keep in mind, these categories change from year to year and from judging site to judging site. What might be a heavy category at one judge site, might be light(er) in another.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2016, 02:02:29 pm »
Just got my bottles delivered to the Chicago judging site (which is NOT in Chicago, BTW).

Woot!

UPS got it delivered in 24 hours.

Good luck to everyone.  I'll need it as all of my entries are in the aforementioned categories (stouts and Belgians).
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2016, 05:36:16 pm »
Hmm, mine still showing as on the truck, and the delivery location closed 30m ago.  ::)

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2016, 05:53:20 pm »
Dropped mine off at ballast point this afternoon

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

- Charles

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2016, 02:56:32 pm »
Hmm, mine still showing as on the truck, and the delivery location closed 30m ago.  ::)

Mine showed that way until really late last night.  They had actually been delivered at 1:30pm.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2016, 11:08:08 am »
Mine got delivered on time, but (as is my luck) 3 of my 5 entries each had one bottle issue leaving only one bottle to be judged for each of the three. The other 2 entries were totally fine. 2 were leaking and one broke!  I ship all over for comps and have not had this happen in a long time.  Thanks a lot UPS....Not much I can do, but hope they showed well in Indy.  Only time will tell. The only way I will truly be affected is if those entries make it to the mini-BOS and the second bottle is needed.  Doh! I am jealous for those of you that could just drop off your entries instead of shipping them.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2016, 06:29:50 am »
I am jealous for those of you that could just drop off your entries instead of shipping them.

There will be a lot of complaints over the next month about "unfair advantage" in early regions, but what you mentioned would be worth way more to me than more time to re-brew

Offline mtnsoul

• 1st Kit
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2016, 06:54:12 am »
I think the "early regions" offer only an advantage to IPAs but even that isn't awful since the later sites' IPA examples are compared against each other so they're all evenly aged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Primary: Empty

On-Deck: Rauchbier

Kegged: Skunk Nuggetz IPA, Imperial Stout, Helles, Scotch Ale 80, Jalapeno/Serrano Amber Lager