Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2016 NHC  (Read 29373 times)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: 2016 NHC
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2016, 07:15:25 am »
I think the "early regions" offer only an advantage to IPAs but even that isn't awful since the later sites' IPA examples are compared against each other so they're all evenly aged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The big argument every year is the earlier regions get their results sooner so they can rebrew if necessary.  The later regions don't have that ability sometimes since they may not find out the results until a week or two before the finals shipping deadline.  I think it's just something you have to deal with, but people can always submit their entries to an earlier region if they wanted too.

All my entries require aging so rebrewing isn't an issue for me.

Did I read somewhere that the results would be posted within a week of the region's judging and not all at once like previous years?  I thought I read that somewhere but can't seem to find it anywhere.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2016, 07:39:58 am »
I think the "early regions" offer only an advantage to IPAs but even that isn't awful since the later sites' IPA examples are compared against each other so they're all evenly aged.

The big argument every year is the earlier regions get their results sooner so they can rebrew if necessary.  The later regions don't have that ability sometimes since they may not find out the results until a week or two before the finals shipping deadline.  I think it's just something you have to deal with, but people can always submit their entries to an earlier region if they wanted too.

Did I read somewhere that the results would be posted within a week of the region's judging and not all at once like previous years?  I thought I read that somewhere but can't seem to find it anywhere.
That was said by the AHA.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline AlexC

• 1st Kit
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2016, 10:55:05 am »

I was wondering this as well - this is my first comp.  I read that results would be posted as they come in, but I don't see Indianapolis posted yet, nothing on the "winners" page from this year yet either.
Is there an ETA for this that anyone with past comp experience can chime in with?
Also, score sheets are posted to the competition website, is that right?
Thanks

Offline tommymorris

2016 NHC
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2016, 11:00:06 am »

I was wondering this as well - this is my first comp.  I read that results would be posted as they come in, but I don't see Indianapolis posted yet, nothing on the "winners" page from this year yet either.
Is there an ETA for this that anyone with past comp experience can chime in with?
Thanks
The competition dates for the individual first round sites are in this calendar.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/aha-events/calendar/

Last year my results came a week or two after the regional competition judging date. I can't remember exactly. You definitely have to be patient. It's a slow process. They have thousands of entries to process.

PS. Here is info about posting results. It sounds the same as last year. Results are posted after the regional site completes judging and a national team verifies. Verification is slow because they are verifying all sites, probably, first come first serve.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/competitions/national-homebrew-competition/national-homebrew-competition-faq/#results
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 11:08:33 am by alestateyall »

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2016, 11:15:53 am »

Thanks

Just the results are posted online. The scoresheets are mailed out and not scanned. It varies by region, but it seems 2-3 weeks is average for score sheets to arrive in the mail.
Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
Grand Master Judge + Mead Judge
BJCP Communications Director
AHA Governing Committee

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2016, 11:21:01 am »

Thanks

Just the results are posted online. The scoresheets are mailed out and not scanned. It varies by region, but it seems 2-3 weeks is average for score sheets to arrive in the mail.

I'm hoping for some consistency this year.  In past year, some regions mailed their sheets out and others (where I entered) didn't until all the results were posted.

If the AHA is going to post the results as soon as a region is verified, that would be great.  If not, I'm sure we'll all survive. 

Either way, I'm sure Janis looks forward to this time of the year, every year! :)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2016, 11:36:02 am »
I've been the judge director for Seattle region several times, but it's been a couple years since I did it last. Even if they post the results right away, I don't think its an advantage, and here's why:

The styles that need to be rebrewed need to be rebrewed.  Period.  I've seen a LOT of 30-34 point 2nd round beers because the entrant didn't rebrew.  We can tell.  Trust me.

The entrants are only entering a max of 6 beers.  That is a lot but isn't so much that it's impossible. The rebrew dates for all entries should be set ahead of time, which may or may not be after the notification date, depending on the styles.  The worst thing that can happen if you rebrew without knowing if you advanced is that you won't have to mail them in.  You'll have a fresh batch of a style that is best served fresh anyways.  You could send it in to another comp, or bring it to club night, or bring it to your friend's kid's graduation party, or drink it yourself, or a hundred other things.

Oh, and don't expect a lot of great actionable feedback that you could apply to your advancing beer.  You'll get better feedback at local comps and from the guys in your home brew club.  At NHC, with the check box score sheets, we are really only documenting what is there and not offering a ton of feedback.  Its sheet is too brief and there are too many beers to judge to provide really full, expressive feedback.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2016, 11:41:34 am »
The AHA sends personnel working on the Competition to several first round sites. Janis Gross and John Morehead were at The Indy First round site. Give them time to get back into the routine in Boulder.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2016, 02:08:44 pm »
I've been the judge director for Seattle region several times, but it's been a couple years since I did it last. Even if they post the results right away, I don't think its an advantage, and here's why:

The styles that need to be rebrewed need to be rebrewed.  Period.  I've seen a LOT of 30-34 point 2nd round beers because the entrant didn't rebrew.  We can tell.  Trust me.

The entrants are only entering a max of 6 beers.  That is a lot but isn't so much that it's impossible. The rebrew dates for all entries should be set ahead of time, which may or may not be after the notification date, depending on the styles.  The worst thing that can happen if you rebrew without knowing if you advanced is that you won't have to mail them in.  You'll have a fresh batch of a style that is best served fresh anyways.  You could send it in to another comp, or bring it to club night, or bring it to your friend's kid's graduation party, or drink it yourself, or a hundred other things.

Oh, and don't expect a lot of great actionable feedback that you could apply to your advancing beer.  You'll get better feedback at local comps and from the guys in your home brew club.  At NHC, with the check box score sheets, we are really only documenting what is there and not offering a ton of feedback.  Its sheet is too brief and there are too many beers to judge to provide really full, expressive feedback.
What you're missing about the rebrewing isn't that the beer needs to be rebrewed to score well in the second time.  I think a lot of entrants get that (not all lol.)  The issue is people don't want to rebrew the same style they just had if it isn't necessary... That's where you see people that got results late and didn't rebrew even if they wanted to.

I think the fairest option would be to post all results at the same time.  I don't think I have much of an issue with results being posted on a first come first serve though as long as the dates of the 1st round judging sites are posted ahead of registration... Which I think they were the past couple of years.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2016, 02:09:22 pm »
I also see it as a catch22... If they wait until all the sites are done judging there will be endless complaining about the results not being posted lol.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2016, 02:13:06 pm »
Indy is being verified.  Which IME with NHC, can take at least a few days.  It is still exciting either way.  As for the rebrew, people will either do it or not depending on the styles they entered.

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2016, 06:14:59 pm »
Mine are at St. Louis this coming weekend.... already rebrewed 1 and will rebrew 2 more this next weekend before I know how any of them did.  They are lagers and I knew it would be something I would need to do.  But, a couple of them are good summer beers, so I don't mind having more on hand.  My other two I can wait on though for results.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2016, 07:06:11 pm »
Rebrewing sounds like a perfect job for Picobrew Zymatic.

I am dumb and held back only 2 bottles of each beer. I think I will have time to rebrew if needed since the beers don't need to arrive until May 25.

Of course I doubt I'll make 2nd round anyway.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2016, 09:34:49 pm »
Mine are at St. Louis this coming weekend.... already rebrewed 1 and will rebrew 2 more this next weekend before I know how any of them did.  They are lagers and I knew it would be something I would need to do.  But, a couple of them are good summer beers, so I don't mind having more on hand.  My other two I can wait on though for results.
My lagers were just ready for Indy, and if any were to move on, they would go back to -1C.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2016, 10:42:16 am »
I've got to rebrew one of mine because I only had enough to send to the first round. It probably won't advance but my wife is clamouring for it anyway so it's on the schedule. It's a partigyle to so I get  a second runnings beer that I can do something different with.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce