Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Looking for ideas on a new garage setup  (Read 5374 times)

Offline scottmathews

• 1st Kit
Looking for ideas on a new garage setup
« on: February 01, 2016, 12:51:18 pm »
Hey everyone! I just recently joined, but I have been brewing (at a not very consistent rate) for a few years now. I've made around 10 batches, all done in a fairly small apartment, or other non-permanent situation.

This week I am closing on a home, and have a very large garage that I will be able to use a good chunk of for a dedicated brewing work area. I was hoping to ask others for general ideas/tips/etc as I go to get settled in to the space.

I have access to water (I can add whatever plumbing I want) and electric. I plan on adding a workbench, shelving for storage, and some kind of water source(s?). Beyond that I'm not 100% sure *how* I want to do those things. I typically stick to 5gal batches, but occasionally do 10. Mostly all grain and extract.

Any advice or ideas would be really appreciated! Maybe even a picture of a similar garage set-up would give me a nice idea as to what I'm getting into.
Scott Mathews

Offline crakers540

• Cellarman
Re: Looking for ideas on a new garage setup
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 04:43:31 pm »
Not sure if you have space for a sink, but if you can squeeze one in, I would recommend it.  Maybe add just a utility sink and build some counter space next to it.  I have a 2-tub sink in my basement that I use (6' L x 19" wide), and I find it very useful for both brew and bottling day.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 05:08:47 pm »
Definitely plan out space for temperature controlled fermentation if you don't already have that covered.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline scottmathews

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 05:14:32 pm »
Not sure if you have space for a sink, but if you can squeeze one in, I would recommend it.  Maybe add just a utility sink and build some counter space next to it.  I have a 2-tub sink in my basement that I use (6' L x 19" wide), and I find it very useful for both brew and bottling day.

Yep, I do! I hadn't thought about the counter space next to it at all, or using the 2-tub kind. Was just imaging one with a single huge tub, but glancing at some types online those look like they'd be really useful. I was thinking of adding one of those spray handle attachments to it (like in industrial kitchens) instead of a traditional one? I'm not sure if that's going to be overkill or not.

Definitely plan out space for temperature controlled fermentation if you don't already have that covered.

That thought actually just popped into my head, because I'd definitely like to use that space for fermentation if I can. Is there a reasonably cheap and efficient way to keep them at temp. without building a big fermentation chamber? I haven't really looked into that much since I've had warmer spaces to keep the stuff in my apartment. I'm not opposed to building a temp. controlled chamber, but if there's an easy way to do it without one that would be good to know.
Scott Mathews

Offline crakers540

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 05:48:04 pm »
I do not have a spray device, but the faucet on mine allows me to slip tubing up into it or slip tubing around it, which allows me to rinse carboys, wash things down, etc. quickly ( I have different lengths of tubing for different jobs).  Need to also consider connections for your wort chiller, bottle washer (my faucet fits nicely into the mouth of bottles for cleaning).

I need to figure out how to post pics to this thread.

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 06:12:58 pm »
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline scottmathews

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 06:24:40 pm »
Some ideas here...

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/gallery

Woah, that's a beautiful set up. A lot of really great organization ideas there. I didn't even consider trying out electric. That website looks like a pretty good resource for it as well.

Thanks!
Scott Mathews

Offline scottmathews

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 06:38:34 pm »
I do not have a spray device, but the faucet on mine allows me to slip tubing up into it or slip tubing around it, which allows me to rinse carboys, wash things down, etc. quickly ( I have different lengths of tubing for different jobs).  Need to also consider connections for your wort chiller, bottle washer (my faucet fits nicely into the mouth of bottles for cleaning).

I need to figure out how to post pics to this thread.

Yeah I was trying to think of the pros and cons of that. I think I will just run a second line there with the options to be a sprayer for cleaning.
Scott Mathews

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 07:15:20 pm »
Some ideas here...

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/gallery
Hoooollllyyyy Sh*t !  That's a beautiful beer dream.  I don't EVEN want to know what that cost.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 07:18:40 pm »
Scott,
Check out "Pimp My System" category on this forum for more ideas.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline scottmathews

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 08:42:24 pm »

Scott,
Check out "Pimp My System" category on this forum for more ideas.

Thanks! I'll check it out and see what other people have been doing. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Mathews

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 08:51:49 am »

That thought actually just popped into my head, because I'd definitely like to use that space for fermentation if I can. Is there a reasonably cheap and efficient way to keep them at temp. without building a big fermentation chamber? I haven't really looked into that much since I've had warmer spaces to keep the stuff in my apartment. I'm not opposed to building a temp. controlled chamber, but if there's an easy way to do it without one that would be good to know.

Fridges or freezers are reasonably cheap and efficient for temperature control. You can add a temperature controller and a heating element and run the whole gamut of fermentation temperatures.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

coastsidemike

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 10:30:44 am »

Fridges or freezers are reasonably cheap and efficient for temperature control. You can add a temperature controller and a heating element and run the whole gamut of fermentation temperatures.

As far as setup, I need to put everything on wheels.  Don't know if that is helpful to you Scott - something occasionally happens where I need to hose out and wash out freezers, like a leaky keg or blown fermentation lid. 

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 10:42:54 am »
You can go electric for A LOT cheaper. Check out High Gravity Brewing. Brewing in the garage with propane will require some ventilation, electric eliminates the CO2 issue.
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline scottmathews

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 11:03:44 am »

You can go electric for A LOT cheaper. Check out High Gravity Brewing. Brewing in the garage with propane will require some ventilation, electric eliminates the CO2 issue.

Yeah that was one of my big worries. It would be nice to just not have to deal with the safety issues of propane in a space like that. I'll look into them and see what it'll take to convert. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Mathews