Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Buying old hops online  (Read 6069 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Buying old hops online
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 09:01:22 am »
                                    and some new hop called 007

Gonna keg an IPA with 007/Idaho 7 tomorrow. The smell from the steep was amazing. Can't wait to see if it lives up to the SN beer.
Is 007 the same hop as Idaho 7?

Yeah, according to yso191 (Steve) who works at a hop company.  SN called the beer 'Idaho 7' before the hops actually came to market. They're sold as 007 now to my knowledge. Aroma and samples seemed pretty spot on so far.

On the podcast episode being released today, Rodger Davis if Faction talks about his use of Idaho 7.  Drew thinks it smell like pears.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 09:10:12 am »
                                    and some new hop called 007

Gonna keg an IPA with 007/Idaho 7 tomorrow. The smell from the steep was amazing. Can't wait to see if it lives up to the SN beer.
Is 007 the same hop as Idaho 7?

Yeah, according to yso191 (Steve) who works at a hop company.  SN called the beer 'Idaho 7' before the hops actually came to market. They're sold as 007 now to my knowledge. Aroma and samples seemed pretty spot on so far.

On the podcast episode being released today, Rodger Davis if Faction talks about his use of Idaho 7.  Drew thinks it smell like pears.

I'll be listening. I got lots of cool stuff out of the SN beer - tangerine, black tea, herbal. I'm hoping this beer I brewed lives up.

Edit - Did Drew actually try a beer with the hops or just smelled the raw hops on the podcast?  Because in beer I don't get pears or gonga.   ;D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 06:26:19 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline KingNothing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2016, 07:36:04 am »
I was doing some random shopping online and I came across the blow out sales on Yakima Valley Hops. They are selling some hops from 2013 and 2014 at what seems to be very low rates when buying in bulk. I was curious if anybody has bought hops this old, and how do they stand up compared to more fresh hops. The two random pounds from 2013 for only $15 sounds intriguing, mainly because I love trying new hops and I haven't tried too many of them. Thoughts?

I came across your post when looking for information from other homebrewers that have purchased and used older harvest hops. I too came across that same blowout sale on the Yakima website. I was so disappointed to see that rather than answering your question, your post was usurped by people talking about a particular hop, a possible hop shortage and one person actually recommended that you check out the Yakima Valley Hops website!

I found this on the Brülosophy website: http://brulosophy.com/2015/09/28/the-impact-of-age-hops-exbeeriment-results/

He used hops that had been removed from their original packaging and vacuum sealed for 9 years, brewed two blonde ales, one with new willamette and another with the old willamette. Rather than re-write the entire article I suggest you read it yourself and then like me get some of those incredibly reduced hops from that blowout sale!

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2016, 07:47:12 am »
I was doing some random shopping online and I came across the blow out sales on Yakima Valley Hops. They are selling some hops from 2013 and 2014 at what seems to be very low rates when buying in bulk. I was curious if anybody has bought hops this old, and how do they stand up compared to more fresh hops. The two random pounds from 2013 for only $15 sounds intriguing, mainly because I love trying new hops and I haven't tried too many of them. Thoughts?

I came across your post when looking for information from other homebrewers that have purchased and used older harvest hops. I too came across that same blowout sale on the Yakima website. I was so disappointed to see that rather than answering your question, your post was usurped by people talking about a particular hop, a possible hop shortage and one person actually recommended that you check out the Yakima Valley Hops website!

I found this on the Brülosophy website: http://brulosophy.com/2015/09/28/the-impact-of-age-hops-exbeeriment-results/

He used hops that had been removed from their original packaging and vacuum sealed for 9 years, brewed two blonde ales, one with new willamette and another with the old willamette. Rather than re-write the entire article I suggest you read it yourself and then like me get some of those incredibly reduced hops from that blowout sale!

I would be curious to see another exbeeriment with a pale ale or IPA with the same hops that are a few years apart.
Jesse