Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Newbie hooked on real brew  (Read 6301 times)

Offline Scratch66

• 1st Kit
Re: Newbie hooked on real brew
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2016, 06:37:36 am »
As an update: Yakima Valley gave me a refund on the compromised bag of Tahoma. They would have replaced it but they were out.
The Foodsaver is aces in my book. It took a while but the learning curve is easy. I had a problem with static electricity making the hops crawl up the sides of the bags until I switched from a plastic measuring cup to a stainless steel cup. I now have one pound each of Tahoma, Horizon, Glacier and Centennial in one ounce vac-sealed bags.  Bagged like this, it takes up about three times the bulk of a vac sealed one pound bag. My little freezer in the garage will be nearly full.
I'm planning to brew a nut brown ale this afternoon using Brewers Friend software. The recipe projects an IBU around 43, ABV approx 6.6 and a nut brown color, OG 1.061 and FG 1.015. Does that sound right to you guys?

Offline war2112

• Cellarman
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2016, 07:34:40 pm »
Man, I am a newbie too and I real hooked.

I actually tried this 20 years ago when I only had a 1 gallon pure steel pot to boil the wort so needless to say my beer came out tasting like steel.

Now I have the right basic equipment and my first batch is getting better and better. I pitched the yeast 23 days ago and I have had in the bottles for 11 days now. I have drank four of them starting at day 6 in the bottles just to see.

It is a pale ale. The one I just drank was good enough that I want another!! Damn, I am so relieved and just a tad proud. I'm like, hell yeah, I brewed that! Now I just want to get better at the process and make better beer.

I gotta lay off my stuff and get a pipeline going cause I wanna drink my stuff!

Thanks to all on here for the great advice. I asked questions and I got answers. Now I can even help a newbie newer than me if that comes along.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2016, 01:18:32 pm »
Thankfully, those newer than us newbies show up every day, keeping the hobby alive! Brew on
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Bomber 22

• Cellarman
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2016, 04:07:31 pm »
Now I have a red ale in fermenter #1. I made more rookie mistakes and still get a nice hoppy scent from the airlock, had good fermenting action for the first five days and it has five more days on its two weeks in the primary.
I've been baking my own bread for years, just started making my own cheese last fall and make my own sausage when I can. Zymurgy is a worthwhile skill to add to the skill set.  There may be an all-grain brew in my future but I'll work with extracts for now.

Soooo Scratch66....  did your party invitations to us get lost in the mail or something!  :)

Offline Scratch66

• 1st Kit
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2016, 06:55:16 pm »

Soooo Scratch66....  did your party invitations to us get lost in the mail or something!  :)
Okay Bomber. I'm due for shoulder surgery in the near future but when I'm scabbed over and healed up good it will be time for a little soiree.
How about a nice crisp pale ale, home made brats on fresh hard rolls and some chevre cheese spread? Maybe a side of my Creole shrimp.  ;D