Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer in France?  (Read 4417 times)

Offline tryabeer

• 1st Kit
Beer in France?
« on: February 02, 2016, 05:36:17 am »
I like to travel as much as i like to try new good beers. Next weekend i will spend in France. Do you know any name or kind of beer in France?

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
Re: Beer in France?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 06:19:23 am »
Biere de garde or saison would be the obvious ones for me. 

This list might help:  http://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/fr/
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 07:41:24 am »
The only half decent French beers I know are from Brasserie Thiriez (Biere de garde). But, honestly, in my humble opinion, France and beer do not go together well. Better beer pubs serve Belgian beers. I'd stick to wine.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 08:46:09 am »
i would agree- look for the Belgian beers, and if you like wine....lots to try.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 09:19:23 am »
You knew I'd come out of the woodwork for this one. I have a meeting now but am adding a response to my todo list.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 09:49:24 am »
You knew I'd come out of the woodwork for this one. I have a meeting now but am adding a response to my todo list.

Hey Phil! long time.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 10:51:37 am »

Hey Phil! long time.

Up to 3.5 kids now - plus a growing consulting business - it's been a while since I've brewed, unfortunately. But it's always in the back of my mind ;-)
----

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 10:57:42 am »
I like to travel as much as i like to try new good beers. Next weekend i will spend in France. Do you know any name or kind of beer in France?

I'm the founder (I used to say president, but we've never had elections and I'm not as active as I used to be) of the Paris Homebrewers Club. I've seen the French beer scene explode over the last six years, with pretty decent (although not quite "American" numbers), growing from 200 to more than 600 breweries over the last ten years, with a very large portion of that growth over the last four years. Quality used to be an issue, and understanding that volume is important (do not spend 6 hours brewing 5 hectoliters when you could spend 6 hours brewing 50 hectoliters) is still an issue, but there are some truly great beers here.

I could go on for a long time about the craft scene here, but it'd be better to just show you - are you going to be in Paris at all next week?
----

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 10:58:27 am »
The only half decent French beers I know are from Brasserie Thiriez (Biere de garde). But, honestly, in my humble opinion, France and beer do not go together well. Better beer pubs serve Belgian beers. I'd stick to wine.

This used to be true, even up to five or so years ago, but is most definitely no longer the case.
----

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 11:02:45 am »
Then they must have been well hidden last time I was there, which was in July, between Belgium an Bretagne ;)
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 11:08:06 am »
Then they must have been well hidden last time I was there, which was in July, between Belgium an Bretagne ;)

Did you visit Paris at all? The boonies are not particularly well-served at this time - Lyon has some interesting stuff now as well, but not as much.
----

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 11:23:18 am »
FWIW, I like Jenlain Ambree.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 11:24:15 am »
I will be in paris this summer if all goes as planned on our family euro trip. Look forward to checking out the new brewing scene.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 11:28:29 am »

I'm the founder (I used to say president, but we've never had elections and I'm not as active as I used to be) of the Paris Homebrewers Club. I've seen the French beer scene explode over the last six years, with pretty decent (although not quite "American" numbers), growing from 200 to more than 600 breweries over the last ten years, with a very large portion of that growth over the last four years. Quality used to be an issue, and understanding that volume is important (do not spend 6 hours brewing 5 hectoliters when you could spend 6 hours brewing 50 hectoliters) is still an issue, but there are some truly great beers here.

I could go on for a long time about the craft scene here, but it'd be better to just show you - are you going to be in Paris at all next week?

Cool!  I have a big box of hop candy headed to la cave a bulles (today or tomorrow) and should be there by next week.  Tell Simon your first piece is on me, haha! 

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 12:10:00 pm »

Cool!  I have a big box of hop candy headed to la cave a bulles (today or tomorrow) and should be there by next week.  Tell Simon your first piece is on me, haha!

Simon is the godfather to one of our kids, actually - and I am quite familiar with your hop candy, they're great!
----