Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: ppg for flaked rice?  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
ppg for flaked rice?
« on: February 16, 2016, 09:40:36 am »
Beersmith has it at 32 while Brewer's Friend has it at 40. I am using a decent amount so the difference is pretty substantial when planning a recipe. 

I am having trouble finding it on the interweb. Anyone know what it is? If I used regular rice, would that figure be interchangeable?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
Re: ppg for flaked rice?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 09:45:47 am »
I have my flaked rice set to 37 (1.037). I find that rice, especially, has big potential. Certainly to the levels of a base malt. If, after you brew, you find higher gravity than anticipated for your system/process then you can bump it up to 40 for the next go-round.

Recently, using precooked basmati white rice, I found that I WAY overshot my expected gravity. Unfortunately, I was also using a new base malt malt, and also a new step mashing schedule on this beer. Since there were several variables to look at I haven't yet concluded that the rice was the "culprit" but I strongly suspect it should be put in the 40+ ppg range.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: ppg for flaked rice?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 09:50:18 am »
Thanks for the input. That helps. I haven't decided whether to go with flaked rice or instant rice.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale