Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How do you make an all grain starter?  (Read 3467 times)

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
How do you make an all grain starter?
« on: February 04, 2016, 10:59:58 am »
I was just curious how you make one.  Some say the taste difference is negligible compared to your usual dme starter, some say you can notice a difference (maybe with bigger starters?).  Either way, I'd like to give it a try.  Any instructions/format to follow? 
Thanks for any help.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: How do you make an all grain starter?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 11:08:43 am »
You mash enough grain with enough water to get the size starter you want.  Shoot for a 1.035 OG.  Anyone who says they can taste a difference needs to do a blind tasting.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 11:18:24 am »
I suppose that gravity is what I should have been asking for.  Thanks, Denny.

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 11:28:34 am »
14.2oz base malt mashed with 2.25 quarts of water for 30 minutes @ 150ish, remove grains, boil for 10 minutes and I hit 1.040 for my starters. I am new to making starters but I do all grain and this works for me.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 11:30:37 am »
14.2oz base malt mashed with 2.25 quarts of water for 30 minutes @ 150ish, remove grains, boil for 10 minutes and I hit 1.040 for my starters. I am new to making starters but I do all grain and this works for me.

You might get better starter performance with a slightly weaker gravity.  I shoot for 1.035 and sometimes 1.025.  Might be worth a try to compare.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 11:32:21 am »

You might get better starter performance with a slightly weaker gravity.  I shoot for 1.035 and sometimes 1.025.  Might be worth a try to compare.

Awesome I will definitely try that next time and compare notes. Thanks.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 04:01:56 pm »
There's not going to be any difference in the starter medium as long as you are using maltose as far as flavor goes. Whoever told you that is delusional.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 09:58:51 am »
There's not going to be any difference in the starter medium as long as you are using maltose as far as flavor goes. Whoever told you that is delusional.

THIS^^^^^

www.dennybrew.com

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 11:18:12 am »
I just mash a batch of beer shooting for a 1.030 SG from the runnings and pressure can it. When I want a starter I will just pop the top, add the yeast and throw it on the stir plate. I tried boiling and then canning to get rid of the hot break and you never can get rid of it so I quit boiling it ahead of time since it will boil while in the pressure canner. The wort will darken from the canning and it will continue to darken over time in the jar due to maillard reactions. For that reason I generally just do a pils malt base for the canned starters.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 08:35:40 am »

Agreed
Jeff B

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 09:16:32 am »
Maybe there is a flavor difference if your starter uses a large amount of a prominent specialty malt like black malt. But then I'd wonder why you'd ever do that. Starters are made using base malt.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing