Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental Brew - Episode 7 is now up!  (Read 4165 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Experimental Brew - Episode 7 is now up!
« on: February 03, 2016, 08:39:21 am »
Episode 7 of our podcast is now up! On this episode we discuss the audience reaction to our last experiment and how we’re revisiting an experiment that got Denny into experimenting. Then the boys head back to the Bay Area to talk with Rodger Davis of Faction Brewing, this time with extra Rodger translation. Who does he reveal to be the actual father of the “White Stout"? All of that and more on Experimental Brewing!

http://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-7-new-faction

Put it in your earholes and tell us what you think! We're continuing to refine the format and are looking for all of your great ideas!

Thoughts? Comment below or send us an email at podcast@experimentalbrew.com!

if you have questions you want us to answer on the show (we're almost set to take callers to the air) - drop us a q at questions@experimentalbrew.com!

If you want to help us with experiments - Join the IGOR crew - Details here - http://www.experimentalbrew.com/igors

Listen to the podcast to find out how to help support our current charity - Freedom Service Dogs - http://freedomservicedogs.org

Don't forget to subscribe on iTunes or your favorite podcasting platform. And give us a rating - ratings help people find our show!

iTunes Link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/experimental-brewing/id1056223392

Stitcher: http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/experimental-brewing?refid=stpr

Podcast RSS: http://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast.rss

Direct link to this episode: http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/www.experimentalbrew.com/sites/default/files/ExperimentalBrewing_Episode_007_A_New_Faction.mp3
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

RPIScotty

Re: Experimental Brew - Episode 7 is now up!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 09:41:02 am »
Thanks for the detailed answer to my question. Great podcast.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 09:43:23 am »
Thanks for the detailed answer to my question. Great podcast.

Glad ya enjoyed it!  Like we said, episode 10 is gonna be all Q&A, so shoot those questions to us!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 04:47:32 pm »
Kept having flashbacks of Dax Shepard on Idiocracy

Good podcast, great job guys

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 10:19:35 pm »

On my part? Denny's part? or Rodger's part? or all 3? :)
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 10:41:41 pm »
Roger was funny to listen to - I kept trying to catch up with him in terms of a beer buzz - downed about 6 beers in that interview - he was great and I look forward to trying his beers at some point...
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 11:27:38 pm »
Listened to the episode while bottling up my Irish Red. Drew I love the suggestions for things outside of beer. I listened to The Message after the first episode and I love the book suggestions (except for the heart breaking cheap shot at the Foundation trilogy). Keep up the great work guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 06:16:33 am »

On my part? Denny's part? or Rodger's part? or all 3? :)
Good job Drew Denny, Roger sounded like Dax

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 09:14:43 am »
Drew I love the suggestions for things outside of beer. I listened to The Message after the first episode and I love the book suggestions (except for the heart breaking cheap shot at the Foundation trilogy).

Thanks - I really love that segment because I want to grab hold of the wider spectrum of who brewers are/can be. As for the shot at Foundation - it comes from a place of disappointed love. Same thing with Dune. :)

-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 03:46:45 pm »
Nice job guys! Just started listening today w episode 7. Drew, bought both books (sound great). You should get a kickback from Amazon.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 11:27:17 am »
Overall, another great podcast. But to be honest, the interview with a barely-coherent Rodger Davis was painful to listen to. I barely made it through the first half last week, and I just skipped the rest after a few minutes this week (right after you mentioned that he was driving a forklift around just prior to the interview. I had a hard time stomaching that.). It was worse than listening to Doc on the BN when he's hammered.

We all enjoy a few drinks, and I don't mind hearing interviews that get a little silly from time to time. But sloppy drunk just isn't good radio for me, though. (Full disclosure - alcoholism runs in my family, so my tolerance may be lower than average on this.)

Despite that one quibble, I think you guys are killing it so far. Your podcast is one of the few I have set to "auto-download" in my queue.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 11:42:44 am »
Overall, another great podcast. But to be honest, the interview with a barely-coherent Rodger Davis was painful to listen to. I barely made it through the first half last week, and I just skipped the rest after a few minutes this week (right after you mentioned that he was driving a forklift around just prior to the interview. I had a hard time stomaching that.). It was worse than listening to Doc on the BN when he's hammered.

We all enjoy a few drinks, and I don't mind hearing interviews that get a little silly from time to time. But sloppy drunk just isn't good radio for me, though. (Full disclosure - alcoholism runs in my family, so my tolerance may be lower than average on this.)

Despite that one quibble, I think you guys are killing it so far. Your podcast is one of the few I have set to "auto-download" in my queue.

Eric, I completely agree with you.  I had to listen to it over and over to edit it and was kinda freaked by the time I got done.  I think the one thing that kinda brings it together is at the end of the interview, when Rodger is talking about the rigors of running a brewery and its impact on his family lifeThat almost provides some perspective.

Thanks for your kind words.  It's nice to know our efforts are appreciated.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 12:03:32 pm »
I agree that the guy was fairly sloppy, no arguments. But I really like what you guys are doing, Denny. It's a good mix of talking to brewers, experiments, taking questions, and just general beer enjoyment. And I like that the experiments aren't 'trying to cure cancer', just done in way that's fun and informative. Kudos!

Edit - Totally love the uke theme, too. It's a freakin' earworm.    ;D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 12:06:30 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 12:07:37 pm »
I have plans to record another uke piece.  Be warned!

www.dennybrew.com

RPIScotty

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 12:14:15 pm »

I have plans to record another uke piece.  Be warned!

Make it a uke album and I'll definitely buy a copy!