Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: conicle fermenters: go stainless or is there a less expensive way?  (Read 15393 times)

Offline monk

• Cellarman
    • The Brass Monkey Brewpub
Re: conicle fermenters: go stainless or is there a less expensive way?
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2010, 10:50:55 pm »
"get yourself a new map"  (see if anyone can get that movie quote).

Tommy Boy.  BAM!

It's obvious that I'm easily distracted from the main topic.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2010, 07:56:00 am »
This may be a bit late, but I found this website about the same time as the original post.

Check out www.conical-fermenter.com The guy has SS conicals for better then half the price of the same-size Bilchmans. I've got a 14.5 gal on it's way right now and John's been super to work with.

$410 bucks for a 14 gallon conical isn't "better than half" the price of a Blichmann. They are a bit less expensive though.

Offline mindar

• 1st Kit
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2010, 05:57:56 am »
This may be a bit late, but I found this website about the same time as the original post.

Check out www.conical-fermenter.com The guy has SS conicals for better then half the price of the same-size Bilchmans. I've got a 14.5 gal on it's way right now and John's been super to work with.

$410 bucks for a 14 gallon conical isn't "better than half" the price of a Blichmann. They are a bit less expensive though.

A Blichman with tri-clamp fittings (which all the others have) at Homebrew Heaven is $921
$830 for a 14.5g Blichman on both Midwest and Williams Brewing.
$895 for a 14g on Morebeer. (Not Blichman, but their house brand, but comparable)
Now, NB, Austin and Brewmasters Warehouse all have the Blichman for $599

So, with 4 places with higher prices, and three with lower, I'm willing to state that on average, the price is higher for the Blichman fermenter.

830/2=415
415>410

So, yes, better then half price. At most some places.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2010, 05:28:34 am »
Right around 600 bucks is what I have been seeing them at at the places I shop.

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010, 07:23:33 am »
There is a company in St Louis that makes a half barrel (holds a total of 20 gallons) stainless conical for under 400. One was donated to the STL Microfest Homebrew Competition for BOS. For a brochure call 888-207-8802 and ask to speak to a Brewhemoth rep.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 07:47:53 am by stlaleman »

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline rkausch

• 1st Kit
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2010, 03:30:18 pm »
I did just find these, though I've never used them before.  I'm actually considering buying one and seeing if I can make it work.  Does anyone have any experience using something like this?

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=45020&catid=513&clickid=searchresults#relatedproducts

70 bucks for a 15 gallon "FDA standard compliant tank" (unsure if that means food grade, I'm still doing research) sounds pretty good though, and even if you have to add extra fittings to it, it might still be worth it.