Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Buying gain in bulk (Sack)  (Read 4705 times)

Offline serrano137

• 1st Kit
Buying gain in bulk (Sack)
« on: February 03, 2016, 09:19:43 am »
I recently moved from Manhattan KS to Jacksonville FL.; Mandarin area to be exact. In Kansas I was able to network and buy sacks of gain from local micro brewers such as Little Apple Brewer or Tall Grass Brewers; the owners and Master Brewer were more the happy to help us homebrews. I've tried to contact some of the local brewing companies here but no success so far. I know I can purchase bulk gain on line, but a $34 sack turns into a $75 sack after shipping :'( , I guess my question is their anyone out there that can help me network, I can see paying $40-45 for basic 2 row, a little more for american white wheat.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Buying gain in bulk (Sack)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 09:25:04 am »
Welcome to Jax from a fellow native! I typically sacks of Rahr from More Beer. $68.73 all in with shipping. At $1.25 a pound it's a good deal.
You could go with Briess and pay $59.15 all in ($1.18/lb).

I'll mention there is a big home brew community here (CASK) and perhaps they do group orders.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 09:29:26 am by flbrewer »

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Buying gain in bulk (Sack)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 09:30:34 am »
Welcome to Jax from a fellow native! I typically sacks of Rahr from More Beer. $68.73 all in with shipping. At $1.25 a pound it's a good deal. I'll mention there is a big home brew community here (CASK) and perhaps they do group orders.

+1 also from a former Duval-er.

There's a couple local stores there, or if you make your way out to Tampa maybe for work (like me) you can buy bulk at Southern Homebrew Supply.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 09:54:04 am »
Been to Southern once, awesome shop
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 11:53:50 am »
That's my local.  Love it.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 03:39:58 pm »
How fast do you actually go through a sack? You could order smaller amounts of several different grains from some Online shops and qualify for free or flat rate shipping due to the dollar amount.
Some Online shops have 7 or 8 different pale ale malts from the U. K. and if you bought 6 or 7 pounds of each you'd get close to a sack and shipping wouldn't be a issue.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline swampale

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 05:00:54 am »
Is there a local or maybe not so local homebrew club near you? Some do a group buys of grains once or twice a year.

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 08:09:04 am »
Sometimes the 10lb bags of grain from MoreBeer with the free shipping works out a better deal than buying a full sack. And you can mix up your base malts that way.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 02:52:42 pm »
Sometimes the 10lb bags of grain from MoreBeer with the free shipping works out a better deal than buying a full sack. And you can mix up your base malts that way.

+1

Yes, these are a good deal. I buy all the grains that I don't need in a 55 lb. sack, Vienna, Munich, Wheats, etc. in 10 lb. bags. MoreBeer's grain prices are good too.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 03:36:16 pm »

That's what I was talking about, but I get smaller amounts since I usually brew three gallon batches and use more like 5-7 pounds in most batches.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 03:40:24 pm by Steve Ruch »
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 03:42:21 pm »

That's what I was talking about, but I get smaller amounts since I usually brew three gallon batches and use more like 5-7 pounds in most batches.

So, you can get free shipping on 50 lbs of assorted grains, but not on a sack?  Odd.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Stevie

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 03:47:03 pm »

So, you can get free shipping on 50 lbs of assorted grains, but not on a sack?  Odd.
I think it is also easier to pack divided bags compared to a sack. The price also depends on where you live. Shipping a sack from MoreBeer to me is about $10, for most malts this is cheaper than local by a few bucks. 5 - 10lb bags are a bad deal in my case.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 04:03:00 pm »
I was thinking about buying a sack yesterday as I was buying my 2nd 10lb. bag of Pils in about 10 days.  I just don't have anywhere to store it right now.

Cleaning and organizing are always on the list. 
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 04:17:31 pm »
I think we scared OP off.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 04:21:05 pm »
I was thinking about buying a sack yesterday as I was buying my 2nd 10lb. bag of Pils in about 10 days.  I just don't have anywhere to store it right now.

Cleaning and organizing are always on the list.

Joe
Have you ever bought from rite brew? Decent prices with spee dee shipping and you should be in the next day zone.
Jimmykx250