Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Weyermann Barke malts  (Read 13070 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Weyermann Barke malts
« on: February 03, 2016, 10:58:00 am »
Has anybody used the Weyermann Barke pils malt?  Supposedly an heirloom variety resurrected. A bit darker than other pils  Kolbacj listed at 36-41.5, so I think I can get away with a single infusion mash.  Any tips from anyone who's used it?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Weyermann Barke malts
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 11:28:17 am »
The only person I know who's used it is Bryan. I'd like to try it, it is a tad on the pricey side though.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 11:35:48 am »
They sent me a sample, so I I'm gonna use it as 100% of the grist.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 01:05:03 pm »
On the tour last Nov. they talked about Barke and its low color and superior flavor. It is a heratige malt from way back in 1996!

Another is Steffi, that Sierra Nevada had in their Oktoberfest last fall.

Barke is in here, Steffi is not. Form the Brewing Malt Society - my translation.
http://www.braugerstengemeinschaft.de/admin/ImageServer.php?download=true&ID=f3179a183@braugerstengemeinschaft

I had read that on the train from Frankfurt to Bamberg. I even stayed awake.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

narvin

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 01:22:10 pm »
On the tour last Nov. they talked about Barke and its low color and superior flavor. It is a heratige malt from way back in 1996!

Another is Steffi, that Sierra Nevada had in their Oktoberfest last fall.

Barke is in here, Steffi is not. Form the Brewing Malt Society - my translation.
http://www.braugerstengemeinschaft.de/admin/ImageServer.php?download=true&ID=f3179a183@braugerstengemeinschaft

I had read that on the train from Frankfurt to Bamberg. I even stayed awake.

Approximately 60% of the quality properties of a beer are the result of the use of 100% top-quality brewing malt in its production.

What I'm hearing is "60% of the time, it works every time!"

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 01:26:52 pm »
I have a sack I've only recently started using. My first beer with it is currently kegged and waiting for a tap to open up. Flavor is good/typical pilsner flavor. Color does not appear to be darker than, say, Avangard Pils. Unfortunately, I haven't sampled enough of the first beer to give much more than that.

Here's the lot analysis from my bag: http://www.weyermann.de/pdf_analyses/Q180-001360-01.pdf

I've done both stepped and single infusion with it. The stepped (148/158/168) resulted in much higher efficiency than usual but it may have been the rice adjunct that I used as well. I also saw a slight increase in efficiency on a separate batch that used 15% Barke Pils. I suspect that the potential is higher for this lot than typical but I'm waiting for another mostly-barke beer before making this decision for this bag. This 'higher potential' occurred once before with my first bag of Avangard Pilsner, but subsequent bags did not stay that way.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 01:28:49 pm by stpug »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 02:03:29 pm »
Thanks, everybody!  Can't wait to brew with it.

www.dennybrew.com

The Beerery

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 02:39:04 pm »
The malt really doesn't matter if the process is flawed. And yes I was the first Homebrewer in the states with it( that I know of).

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 03:14:17 pm »
What I'm hearing is "60% of the time, it works every time!"

stay classy, san diego.

I used the Barke Munich and Vienna (regular Weyermann pils though) in a marzen recently.  hockhurz step mashed.  its an incredible beer, but is it incredible because of the Barke?  Not sure.

i'll buy it again for sure.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 05:33:10 pm »
So, what I'm  hearing is it's basically the "maris otter" of German barley? (Not in flavor, but in essence.)
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 06:10:41 pm »
So, what I'm  hearing is it's basically the "maris otter" of German barley? (Not in flavor, but in essence.)
Yes, but only 20 years old. Not 1960s old like MO. Not 1820s old like Chevallier - dang that was a tasty beer at Bell's.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

RPIScotty

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 04:06:01 am »

...if the process is flawed.

Oh boy...

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 06:47:23 am »
And it's priced like floor malted maris otter too, which is why I haven't picked any up yet.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 08:25:36 am »
The malt really doesn't matter if the process is flawed. And yes I was the first Homebrewer in the states with it( that I know of).

Well, then, thank God my process isn't flawed.

www.dennybrew.com

RPIScotty

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 08:50:03 am »

Well, then, thank God my process isn't flawed.

That's what you think Denny. You have flaws in your process that your not even aware of.