Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cryo hops saved refreshed my keg  (Read 1229 times)

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
Cryo hops saved refreshed my keg
« on: March 30, 2019, 08:48:01 pm »
I had 2.5 gallons left from a 5 gallon batch of IPA.  I had hopped the s***ake out of it woth 6oz in WP and dry hopped with 6oz.  It was losing its hop greatness and I added .5 oz of columbus and .5 oz of simcoe.  It is booming super dankness.  So stoked.  Just sharing.

Offline TeeDubb

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Jose, CA
Re: Cryo hops saved refreshed my keg
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 10:08:07 am »
That's a great trick - will have to give that a try. I imagine that you put the cryo hops in a weighted bag to get them to stay submerged?

It takes me a while to go through a 5 gal keg and a hoppy IPA sometimes starts to get less special (flavors and aroma get more muted) after several weeks of being on tap, even with all the little tricks to avoid oxygen pickup. On a recent batch, I carefully bottled the first 2.0 gal to see if those hold up better over time, but can't see why they would. If anything, the bottling process added a tiny bit of oxygen. Maybe I just need to invite people over when fresh and enjoy when at peak.

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 10:33:54 am »
I bought some 300 micron stainless tube.  It sank like a brick.  I don't know how long this will last but I can drinksome and growler some to friends.  I purged the keg so hopefully not too much oxidation will occur, if any.  The sleeve was like 15-16 dollars.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 11:45:15 am »
That's a great trick - will have to give that a try. I imagine that you put the cryo hops in a weighted bag to get them to stay submerged?

It takes me a while to go through a 5 gal keg and a hoppy IPA sometimes starts to get less special (flavors and aroma get more muted) after severtal weeks of being on tap, even with all the little tricks to avoid oxygen pickup. On a recent batch, I carefully bottled the first 2.0 gal to see if those hold up better over time, but can't see why they would. If anything, the bottling process added a tiny bit of oxygen. Maybe I just need to invite people over when fresh and enjoy when at peak.

It's not necessary to weight the bag.  Once they get wet they'll submerge.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 10:03:48 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 09:24:42 am »
Thanks for sharing!  I actually just recently did the same thing with the same outcome but just using cheese cloth and whole hops.