Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Weyermann Barke malts  (Read 13069 times)

Offline neddles

• Brewer
Re: Weyermann Barke malts
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2016, 08:42:38 am »
So does anyone have some new insight on these malts. How are the beers coming out? I acquired 10# of the Barke Pils and I am thinking I might just go with a 100% Barke Pils Helles. at 1.048-1.050. Thoughts?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2016, 08:49:29 am »
I have an Ofest on tap that I made with all Barke malts - Vienna, Munich, and some Pils. Best Ofest I've ever made - lots of rich malt complexity. Also, an all Barke Pils German pils - nice full, rounded malt character. Very high quality malts. It'll be hard not to make lagers with them from now on.

Edit - As for your question about the pils, 100% Barke pils is wonderful.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 11:25:44 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2016, 05:43:35 pm »
Ditto to hoosierbrew -malt complexity is great with the Barke malts.  Am hopeful I can continue to get them
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline tommymorris

Weyermann Barke malts
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2016, 06:02:25 pm »
I have Barke in inventory but chose to try floor malted Weyermann first. I can't wait.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2016, 06:06:19 pm »
I have Barke in inventory but chose to try floor malted Weyermann first. I can't wait.

Floor malted Weyermann is pretty nice too, though.
Jon H.

Offline Tommydee

• 1st Kit
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2019, 11:03:12 am »
Bringing this from the dead.  Making a Czech pils, and LHBS out of weyerman bohemian floor malted.  Is this unmodified such that I Should do a quick protein rest at 133, or go straight Hochhurz?  I'll probably do single decoction up to mashout just for fun.  (Shrieks from the LODO crowd).

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2019, 11:18:01 am »
Bringing this from the dead.  Making a Czech pils, and LHBS out of weyerman bohemian floor malted.  Is this unmodified such that I Should do a quick protein rest at 133, or go straight Hochhurz?  I'll probably do single decoction up to mashout just for fun.  (Shrieks from the LODO crowd).

Barke is highly modified.   I do a single infusion with it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2019, 11:22:59 am »
According to the analyses Weyermann provide, the regular Pilsner, Barke and Bohemian Pilsners (both floored and pneumatic) are all similarly well-modified.  Only the Premium Extra Pale is less modified.  I've used them all (except the Extra Pale) both in a Hochkurz, and with lower temperature rests, and find no reason to bother with the lower temperature rests.

(And on that last point, hey, the Bohemians HSA the $#!? out of their beers. ;D )
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 11:25:01 am by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Big Monk

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2019, 12:40:56 pm »
According to the analyses Weyermann provide, the regular Pilsner, Barke and Bohemian Pilsners (both floored and pneumatic) are all similarly well-modified.  Only the Premium Extra Pale is less modified.  I've used them all (except the Extra Pale) both in a Hochkurz, and with lower temperature rests, and find no reason to bother with the lower temperature rests.

(And on that last point, hey, the Bohemians HSA the $#!? out of their beers. ;D )

The Extra Pale is what I use. My shop labels it as normal Pilsner because I think that's what they think it is. I've brought it to their attention but I'm not complaining. It's a great malt.

As for modification, i'll only add the slight modifier to your statement: it's less modified relative to the others you mentioned, but with a Kolbach Index of ~40%, it's still very well modified.

One thing to note: the Hartong Index of a recent sheet I pulled shows 37.2%, which translates to a Gelatinization temperature of ~147.5 °F. That's always something to keep in mind and limits your first rest temperature.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 12:48:44 pm by Big Monk »

Offline BrewBama

Weyermann Barke malts
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2019, 12:54:18 pm »

I used Barke Pils in a Czech 12° today. I had a bit of trouble recirculating during the mash steps. It came out fine I just had to stop, let the mash burp, then start up again. I attribute this to too fine a crush thinking the individual kernels are different enough that my normal mill setting was a bit too fine. I didn’t account for that. Interestingly, upon cleanup, the RIMS element was as clean as I’ve ever seen it. Alls well that ends well: I hit my gravity and volume spot on. Looking forward to this one.

Edit: when I dumped the grain bag at the wood line for the deer, I noticed some smutze in the bottom of the bag. I attribute the recirculating difficulty to this smutze. I did not get any teig on top of the grain bed. unterteig, hauptteig, and oberteig indeed. Dave Miller said, “On brew day, the unterteig is a brewer's worst enemy.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 03:29:27 pm by BrewBama »