Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cloudy beer after boiling  (Read 1954 times)

Offline Luis Sanchez

• 1st Kit
Cloudy beer after boiling
« on: February 03, 2016, 03:58:01 pm »
Hi everyone!
I´ve made a total 14 batches. My batch volume is 10 gallons. This last batch is an IPA. After the boil, with flame out and before cooling, I added 2.5 oz of hops. Also there were some proteins floating around which I didn´t take out of the wort. I cooled to 70°F and did the whirlpool with a spoon and waited for 15 minutes aprox. for the trump to settle. I began very slowly to transfer the wort to the fermenter and saw that the wort was very cloudy. I continued to transfer the wort very slowly as to make time for all the trump to settle. All the transferred wort was cloudy from start to finish!!! I also saw some Protein start to form inside the transfer hose and inside the fermenter!!! It´s the first time that this happened to me. I took out a glass gallon of the wort to ferment it and see if it cleared through time. It´s been four days and although I have settled trump, the beer is still very cloudy. Have any of you had this happened before? What could have occurred? 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Cloudy beer after boiling
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 04:17:00 pm »
First, welcome! Being an IPA there would be more hop oils (which in quantity can make wort hazy) in the wort than with other beers. Secondly sounds like more of the trub ended up in the fermenter than usual. No worries. Trub absolutely settles out, and a certain amount is actually beneficial to yeast health and performance. Four days is not enough time for most any beer to be clear since the yeast is not quite done with its job. Yeast in suspension make beer temporarily cloudy. It should be much clearer in another week.

Are you an all grain or extract brewer? What is your recipe? Has anything changed in your process? Do you control pH if you're an all grain brewer? Honestly I think you'll be fine.
Jon H.

Offline Luis Sanchez

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 09:12:27 am »
Thanks for your comments and your welcome to this site HossierBrew!
I´m an all grain brewer. Actually this is the first time I adjust PH using sodium bicarbonate to get it to about 5.2.
I´m using:
22.05 lb Malteurope 2 row
0.84   lb Caramel 40
2.47   lb Caramel 60
1.10   lb Carapils
1 oz   Simcoe (60 minutes)
4 oz    Citra  (40 minutes y 0 minutes)
4 oz Citra dry hop
I wish I could attach a picture of it...
Regards from Mexico!
Luis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 09:26:33 am »
The thing is, baking soda raises pH and doesn't lower it . Lactic acid, gypsum (calcium sulfate) and calcium chloride could be used to lower pH. And IPA (and other hop forward beers ) does better mashed at 5.4 pH FWIW. So it sounds like the cloudiness at least in part came from your pH being off. I highly recommend downloading Brunwater software. It can help you predict your mash pH pretty accurately and has excellent info included. Good luck !

https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/
Jon H.

Offline Luis Sanchez

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 09:43:01 am »
Thanks again for your help and recommendations. I´ll download the Brunwater software. Just one doubt, the wort (before the boil) had a PH of about 4.8. When I added the baking soda it raised the PH to about 5.2 (which was my target). With the original HP that low, what should I have done? Thanks again!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 11:01:42 am »
                              the wort (before the boil) had a PH of about 4.8. When I added the baking soda it raised the PH to about 5.2 (which was my target). With the original HP that low, what should I have done? Thanks again!

Was the 4.8 a room temp mash measurement?  Did you acidify your strike water with acid or salts and overshoot low? How did you measure your pH?
Jon H.