Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: stuck fermentation  (Read 2481 times)

Offline jobard

• 1st Kit
stuck fermentation
« on: January 28, 2016, 04:21:45 am »
hi y'all,

I've brewed a Russian Imperial Stout in Jan. 06th, with an o.g. of 1.084 and a target f.g. of 1.020, but it's been 1 and a half week that it got stuck at 1.033.
I've used 2x. S-33 yeast for a 18L batch (4,75 gal.) and it fermented between 64°F and 68°F for the first 14 days, and between 68°F and 72°F to this date.
How can I convince my yeast to keep on attenuating?
thanks

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: stuck fermentation
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 06:01:33 am »
hi y'all,

I've brewed a Russian Imperial Stout in Jan. 06th, with an o.g. of 1.084 and a target f.g. of 1.020, but it's been 1 and a half week that it got stuck at 1.033.
I've used 2x. S-33 yeast for a 18L batch (4,75 gal.) and it fermented between 64°F and 68°F for the first 14 days, and between 68°F and 72°F to this date.
thanks

Move the fermenter to the warmest room in the house and give it a couple weeks, then check gravity. The moving of the beer will gently rouse some of the yeast into suspension and the warmer temp might spur the yeast to eat a little more sugar. Big beers often take longer to reach FG. You should post your recipe and process so we can see any potential issues. And welcome !
Jon H.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 07:39:18 am »
What was the pitch rate?  It suggests 50-80 g/hl.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 09:51:20 am »
Extract or all grain?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jobard

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 04:18:23 am »
hi y'all,

thanks

Move the fermenter to the warmest room in the house and give it a couple weeks, then check gravity. The moving of the beer will gently rouse some of the yeast into suspension and the warmer temp might spur the yeast to eat a little more sugar. Big beers often take longer to reach FG. You should post your recipe and process so we can see any potential issues. And welcome !

I'll try that, thanks.

The 5gal. all grain recipe was:

16lb. Pale Malt
1lb. crystal 60L
8oz black malt (500SRM)
8oz chocolate malt (350 SRM)
1oz northern brewer hop 90min
1.5oz williamette 45min
1oz fuggle 20min
2.6oz 100% cocoa 60min
2.6oz 50% cocoa 50% choc. 60min.
1oz. juniper seeds 60min

Offline jobard

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 04:27:39 am »

It was a 5gal. batch. I used 2x 11,5g, which is equal to 1.6 to 2.5 times the pitching rate you posted.

Offline jobard

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 04:28:14 am »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 05:52:58 am »

It was a 5gal. batch. I used 2x 11,5g, which is equal to 1.6 to 2.5 times the pitching rate you posted.

That's plenty of yeast for a 1.084 beer. Have you calibrated your hydrometer in water to be sure it reads accurately ?  And what thermometer do you use for mash temps? A cheap thermometer could've had you mashing several degrees warmer than you assumed. What mash temp?

Edit - And did you aerate thoroughly before pitching? Bigger beers need to be aerated even more thoroughly than average strength beers.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 05:58:52 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 05:55:38 am »
Did you rack it?  I hope not.  You might need to put more yeast back in if you did.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline jobard

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 06:56:36 am »

That's plenty of yeast for a 1.084 beer. Have you calibrated your hydrometer in water to be sure it reads accurately ?  And what thermometer do you use for mash temps? A cheap thermometer could've had you mashing several degrees warmer than you assumed. What mash temp?

Edit - And did you aerate thoroughly before pitching? Bigger beers need to be aerated even more thoroughly than average strength beers.

I`m not a very experienced brewer. This is only my 9th batch and I was concerned about the yeast`s ability in fermenting such high gravity wort, but obviously, I was wrong.
Actually, I used a regular hydrometer (not the fancy refractometer type) and it requires no calibration, I guess...
I used a digital, 0.1°C/F accurate thermometer. Mash temp. was between 142 and 152
Regarding aeration, I used a small duly sanitized aquarium air pump hose and stone with a 0.2micra air filter. I placed the stone in the fermentor before slowly transferring the wort to it, so that it was being aerated all the time (about 30 min.).
So, did I do something wrong here?

Offline jobard

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 06:58:36 am »
Did you rack it?  I hope not.  You might need to put more yeast back in if you did.

Nope... I didn't.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 07:09:37 am »
I`m not a very experienced brewer. This is only my 9th batch and I was concerned about the yeast`s ability in fermenting such high gravity wort, but obviously, I was wrong.
Actually, I used a regular hydrometer (not the fancy refractometer type) and it requires no calibration, I guess...
I used a digital, 0.1°C/F accurate thermometer. Mash temp. was between 142 and 152
Regarding aeration, I used a small duly sanitized aquarium air pump hose and stone with a 0.2micra air filter. I placed the stone in the fermentor before slowly transferring the wort to it, so that it was being aerated all the time (about 30 min.).

Hey ,we all started somewhere. Hydrometers can be checked for calibration - before brewing each time place it in a glass of water and see if it reads 1.000, correcting for temperature . If not , you'll need to add or subtract the deviation from your readings. But the mash temp seems to be an issue - describe what you mean by the 142 -152 mash temp. That's a huge temp range. Do you mash in a cooler or a pot? Did you stir the mash thoroughly enough to get a consistent reading ? How long did you mash?
Jon H.

Offline jobard

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 08:29:27 am »

Hey ,we all started somewhere. Hydrometers can be checked for calibration - before brewing each time place it in a glass of water and see if it reads 1.000, correcting for temperature . If not , you'll need to add or subtract the deviation from your readings. But the mash temp seems to be an issue - describe what you mean by the 142 -152 mash temp. That's a huge temp range. Do you mash in a cooler or a pot? Did you stir the mash thoroughly enough to get a consistent reading ? How long did you mash?

Thanks for the calibration tip; I'll do it from now on. Sorry about the temp. range. What I meant was 148°F to 152°F. I mashed it in a large aluminium pot with a false bottom, stirring almost all the time for 70 min., and I kept doing vorlauf for the last 20 min.. Iodine test confirmed full saccharification.

Offline jobard

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 03:51:10 am »
I measured the gravity last night and it is now at 1.021.
I'd like to thank you all for the support.
Cheers!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 05:45:25 am »
I measured the gravity last night and it is now at 1.021.
I'd like to thank you all for the support.
Cheers!

Good to hear. That's a great FG for a RIS. Enjoy !
Jon H.