Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Feedback on Brown Ale  (Read 1313 times)

RPIScotty

Feedback on Brown Ale
« on: February 04, 2016, 12:04:25 pm »
Looking for some feedback on a Brown Ale I plan on brewing soon after a long hiatus.
It is structurally similar to Denny’s NOTI Brown (same percentages and IBU) but I am using ingredients available at my LHBS.
Grain:
Dingemans Pale Ale – 59.3%
Dingemans Munich – 27.8%
Dingemans Caramunich – 7.4%
Dingemans Special B – 1.9%
Briess Chocolate – 3.7%

Mash @ 152 for 45 minutes. Water to Grist -> 1.63 qts/lb. Looking to get 1.5 gallons in the fermentor.

Hops:
Centennial – 0.33 oz @ 25
Cascade – 0.25 oz @ 15
Willamette – 0.33 oz @ 15
Willamette – 0.22 oz @ 10
Willamette – 0.22 oz @ 5
Cascade – 0.37 oz @ 0

~47 IBU

Yeast:
I’m set on using dry yeast for this one. Looking for some guidance. Probably US-05 or BRY-97.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
Re: Feedback on Brown Ale
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 01:27:18 pm »
I see nothing that I would change specifically. Either of those yeasts should be good; they are basically equivalent. It seems solid to me. Brew it and change things next time, if needed.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 01:38:55 pm »
+1.  Looks pretty solid to me. I'm sure Denny would argue that you use American malts for American ales ( I generally agree), but we all know how good Dingemann malts are. Not exactly a step down. If that's what you get from the LHBS then it could be worse.   ;)
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 01:53:26 pm »
+1.  Looks pretty solid to me. I'm sure Denny would argue that you use American malts for American ales ( I generally agree), but we all know how good Dingemann malts are. Not exactly a step down. If that's what you get from the LHBS then it could be worse.   ;)

Yep, that would be my strategy, but it's not my beer!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

RPIScotty

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 05:14:09 pm »

Yep, that would be my strategy, but it's not my beer!

I hear you Denny. My logic is simple: My local stores only sell Briess for American malts.

So Dingemans it is. If it makes you feel better, I can switch to an English style yeast and use different hops!

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 05:50:32 pm »
My only comment is that I'd try and work some amber malt into the recipe, but that's just me. I love amber malt in a brown ale.

I've brewed several batches of NB's Surly Bender AG kit, it's a great beer that's really set apart by the special B and amber malt. (If memory serves correctly.)

Briess may not make as good an amber as others, but it's still worth it IMO. I think theirs is victory?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 05:54:37 pm by Phil_M »
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.