Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Flavor Extracts  (Read 1542 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Flavor Extracts
« on: February 03, 2016, 12:07:43 pm »
A friend mentioned this site to me recently. I'm curious to know who here uses extracts often in their beers? It also makes me wonder how many commercial breweries are doing this to go above and beyond what they can get from malt, hops, and perhaps raw additives.

https://www.olivenation.com/extracts-flavorings.html

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Flavor Extracts
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 12:34:02 pm »
I believe Drew has used some of those.  It was a brand he recommended on a recent podcast.  Hey, aren't you listening?  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 05:02:51 pm »
I have used many of them with great success in experimental beers and fruit beers.  Their extracts are very high quality and most come across as quite "real" as opposed to chemical tasting.  Beware though as they are quite potent and you do not need much at all for a 5 gallon batch (as in no more than 1 oz for some of these). I try to purchase the "natural" labeled flavorings when making my selections.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 06:57:35 pm »
I believe Drew has used some of those.  It was a brand he recommended on a recent podcast.  Hey, aren't you listening?  ;)
Drew might be the "friend" he's talking about

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 01:17:10 pm »

Not sure how I forgot about the podcast...I am now! Driving around for work all day has it's perks! Really enjoying it so far. I think it's a great middle ground between VERY LONG podcasts that are just people chatting about beer and the very short ones out there. Keep it up!

*As an aside (and I know this thread isn't about providing you and Drew feedback), it seems you guys had a great time out at Faction  :o

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 01:54:13 pm »

Not sure how I forgot about the podcast...I am now! Driving around for work all day has it's perks! Really enjoying it so far. I think it's a great middle ground between VERY LONG podcasts that are just people chatting about beer and the very short ones out there. Keep it up!

*As an aside (and I know this thread isn't about providing you and Drew feedback), it seems you guys had a great time out at Faction  :o

Almost too good a time!  We had been to the distillery next door before Faction, but fortunately I didn't drink there.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 08:33:42 am »
I have not used extracts partly because every commercial beer I have tried that adds extract or "flavor" comes off as perfumy.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 09:53:20 am »
I have not used extracts partly because every commercial beer I have tried that adds extract or "flavor" comes off as perfumy.

Have you had Rogue's Hazelnut Brown?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 10:20:42 am »
No I haven't. I take it that its a good one? I imagine a nut extract might be OK to my taste.Its usually the fruit extracts I find offensive: grapefruit, strawberry etc.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 10:24:13 am »
No I haven't. I take it that its a good one? I imagine a nut extract might be OK to my taste.Its usually the fruit extracts I find offensive: grapefruit, strawberry etc.

There are good and bad extracts for just about any flavor.  Don't judge them all by the bad ones.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 10:41:22 am »
I'm not so sure its totally about the quality of the extract as its about my preference for beer flavored beer. When a beer has a flavor I generally like it to be subtle and complimentary. For instance I just put an entire grapefruit, skin and all, through a juicer and added it to the fermenter of a cascade and centennial dominant IPA along with some fresh Rosemary. (Yes,I'll tell anyone who tries it that it contains grapefruit )I am expecting those additions to add noticeable but not overpowering aroma and flavor contributions. IME the beers I have had that add "flavors" other than the natural whole ingredients tend to be too much. For my personal taste, maybe others don't find grapefruit sculpin for instance to be ruined or close to it by the perfume like aroma.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 10:58:28 am »
I'm not so sure its totally about the quality of the extract as its about my preference for beer flavored beer. When a beer has a flavor I generally like it to be subtle and complimentary. For instance I just put an entire grapefruit, skin and all, through a juicer and added it to the fermenter of a cascade and centennial dominant IPA along with some fresh Rosemary. (Yes,I'll tell anyone who tries it that it contains grapefruit )I am expecting those additions to add noticeable but not overpowering aroma and flavor contributions. IME the beers I have had that add "flavors" other than the natural whole ingredients tend to be too much. For my personal taste, maybe others don't find grapefruit sculpin for instance to be ruined or close to it by the perfume like aroma.

I understand your "beer flavored beer" statement...I'm the same way.  But your comment seemed to address extract quality, which is why I headed in that direction.  It sounds like it's more a case of you ( and I) just don't like "unbeerlike" flavors.

www.dennybrew.com