Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing Software - Recommendations?  (Read 7161 times)

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
Brewing Software - Recommendations?
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2016, 05:47:51 am »
I'm one of the people you emailed it to, so thanks for that!

I used applications (both desktop- and web-based) for ages, but 3 batches ago I switched to my own spreadsheet. I use Numbers and sync to all my devices using iCloud, but I'll likely find some tidbits in yours to steal. :)

Although mine is still a work in progress, I agree with all the sentiment here. I like being fully aware of what formulae I'm using, being able to tweak every constant easily, and most of all, being able to add calculations as needed. For example, the other day I needed to know the mass of the cast-out wort. Adding that to the spreadsheet was trivial, and now it's there for future batches should I ever need it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 05:51:28 am by ajk »

RPIScotty

Re: Brewing Software - Recommendations?
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2016, 08:07:00 am »
I'm one of the people you emailed it to, so thanks for that!

I used applications (both desktop- and web-based) for ages, but 3 batches ago I switched to my own spreadsheet. I use Numbers and sync to all my devices using iCloud, but I'll likely find some tidbits in yours to steal. :)

Although mine is still a work in progress, I agree with all the sentiment here. I like being fully aware of what formulae I'm using, being able to tweak every constant easily, and most of all, being able to add calculations as needed. For example, the other day I needed to know the mass of the cast-out wort. Adding that to the spreadsheet was trivial, and now it's there for future batches should I ever need it.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Mass produced software is designed in a way so that it captures a compromise of what ALL Brewers may want based on the designers opinions of what they need.

Excel allows me to design what I need in my sheet. It means no compromises and its educational to boot.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2016, 06:24:53 pm »
Is it bad I'm looking forward to my diffeq and Laplace/Fourier classes?  :P

Yes, you are not well.  :)

Offline brewfreeordie603

• 1st Kit
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2016, 05:56:18 pm »
Been using Brewers Friend lately but it seems like Beersmith is getting a lot of love.  I will try the free trial for my next brew, but I don't like that it isn't web based and you have to download the software to your computer.