Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mashing Temp for Denny Fav 50?  (Read 1926 times)

Offline weiht

• Cellarman
Mashing Temp for Denny Fav 50?
« on: February 06, 2016, 08:20:21 am »
 I usually mash at 67c when fermenting with US05, as that yeast has pretty high attenuation.

Should I lower it for the DF50 to 66c? Since it seems this yeast leaves a body, and I want to finish slightly dry than sweet for a B.IPA. OG-1.066 and aiming to finish 1.012ish.
Don't take it personal, there will be people who dislike your beer!!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Mashing Temp for Denny Fav 50?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 08:40:45 am »
Honestly, there's no set mash temp for a yeast. It's more related to your grist makeup and what you're trying to achieve in a given beer.
Jon H.

Offline weiht

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 08:48:56 am »
Honestly, there's no set mash temp for a yeast. It's more related to your grist makeup and what you're trying to achieve in a given beer.

I respectful disagree. Same grist and mash temps with dif yeast will yield dif results. I find the US05 attentuates more than the liquid version of the same strain. Just checking if the others keep their mash profile the same as when using say the chico strain or do they make any slight changes.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 09:25:50 am »
Of course different yeasts attenuate differently in a given grist, I get that. Just saying that recommending mash temps just based on yeast strain leaves most of the variables out of the equation, ie., grist, beer style, your goals. But to answer your question, I don't mash differently for 1450 than I would for 1056 .
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 09:37:53 am »

I respectful disagree. Same grist and mash temps with dif yeast will yield dif results. I find the US05 attentuates more than the liquid version of the same strain. Just checking if the others keep their mash profile the same as when using say the chico strain or do they make any slight changes.

Maybe, but not much. Mash temp makes much less difference than it used to with most malts.  There is no reason to target any specific mash temp using 1450.  I use it with a wide range of mash temps.  Truthfully, the best way to control body and attenuation is through the recipe.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline weiht

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 12:06:34 pm »
Agree with you both.. Just that I've got a recipe that I'm happy with and don't wish to tinker with it.

Thanks, I'll see how it goes!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 01:13:01 pm »
Agree with you both.. Just that I've got a recipe that I'm happy with and don't wish to tinker with it.

Thanks, I'll see how it goes!

While 1450 leaves a full, silky mouthfeel, it doesn't do it by leaving you with a high FG.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline weiht

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 04:51:43 am »
Excellent, sounds like what WY1728 and WY3711 does.. Moderate/high glycerol producing yeast maybe?

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 05:25:28 am »
I agree with Jon that it depends upon your goals. I have an IPA in the fermenter with 1450. My goal is to make a nice malty but not sweet backbone for the hops but finished fairly dry so I used a grist with just 2 row and Munich, no crystal, mashed at 150 and added some cane sugar. So my reason for using the 1450 was to get mouth feel without adding malts that make the beer sweet. I recently made a porter with 1450 that I mashed high to accentuate the 1450 mouth feel.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 08:47:50 pm »
One thing I seem to find with 1450 is that it floccs out pretty slowly.  I don't think mash temp has much to do with how this will react in the fermenter, except at extreme mash temps, possibly...but I haven't gone there to see.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"