Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: mandarina  (Read 11660 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: mandarina
« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2016, 05:26:36 pm »
I guess I'm just going to have to try a 1/4 to 1/2 lb hop stand sometime then, I'm curious about the results.

Yep, you should try it. Keep in mind though that I don't add late hops in the kettle at all for American ales. Half a lb might be/seem overkill on top of late kettle additions, but I don't do that. I add all late additions in the whirlpool.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2016, 05:32:39 pm »
When I was in Germany last in Nov to Dec. I talked to a brewer from Spital that was using Mandarina with Cascades in his IPA (it is a thing there now, but not huge). He alluded to the variabiltiy of Madarina depending on the farm. He said he didn't like fields near a forest. I think that would be due to shade on the hop field.

Just rambling.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2016, 05:36:12 pm »
When I was in Germany last in Nov to Dec. I talked to a brewer from Spital that was using Mandarina with Cascades in his IPA (it is a thing there now, but not huge). He alluded to the variabiltiy of Madarina depending on the farm. He said he didn't like fields near a forest. I think that would be due to shade on the hop field.

Just rambling.

Pretty cool to hear that's a thing, even if a limited one. Secondly, sounds good. Thanks for the rambling !
Jon H.