Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP 051 Fast Krausen dissipation and sulfuric odor  (Read 2056 times)

Offline TMULLEN96

• 1st Kit
WLP 051 Fast Krausen dissipation and sulfuric odor
« on: February 06, 2016, 10:22:43 am »
I recently(today is sat, brewed on thurs) did a 10 gallon batch of 1.062 pale ale, with which I used 2 purepitches of White Labs Cali V to make a 1300mL Starter. Just now while cleaning aaround the house I noticed the sulfur smell and went to check on the carboys. The one I noticed had a significant reduction in krausen since I last checked on it, which was last night around 11pm. Now I have used this yeast before particularly in my last batch which i brewed roughly 3 weeks ago but that was the standard vile from WLP and did notice the sulfur smell durring fermentation however not as potently and that batch was a much smaller beer having an OG of 1.036. Could the yeast really have fermented out that quick to where the krausen is falling? or is this a slightly atypical thing for the strain to do? it just seems awfully fast the ambient temp in my house is 64. I dont know how it could have gotten infected as i clean and sanitize everything with 5 star products. has anyone experienced this before?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: WLP 051 Fast Krausen dissipation and sulfuric odor
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 10:36:50 am »
Ambient temp doesn't matter...beer temp does.  What's the temp of the beer?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline TMULLEN96

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 11:29:51 am »
thermometer on the carboy reads 70. So I'm right at the top of the range but would think it would be okay, correct?

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 02:44:11 pm »
I have a similar question. I did a starter on some yeast I harvested 2 months ago from an APA made with a culture made from a bottle of Mirror Pond. That original batch came out great; fermented out in less than 2 days. I saved a vial of cake. it has a sort of acrid smell, i cant describe, just not the usual smell i have come to expect. I pitched it last night and now the room where the carboy is has the same smell. Wife says sour, like sour milk. Could the yeast be bad? First batch didnt smell like this.
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 02:56:20 pm »
thermometer on the carboy reads 70. So I'm right at the top of the range but would think it would be okay, correct?

Not necessarily, but maybe.  I find the temp ranges listed to be higher than I think makes the best beer.  At the very least, using a temp that high will accelerate fermentation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 03:05:39 pm »
i will throw out there based upon my experience and pure pitch, using two packs and a starter was way over pitching. that coupled with warm temps and you probably fermented at a very accelerated pace.

edit: realized 10 gal not 5. i still only use 1 pack pure pitch less than 1 month old for 5 gals..no starter.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 03:09:25 pm by Wort-H.O.G. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline TMULLEN96

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 02:26:52 pm »
Yea I will say the pure pitch I had was unlike any vile I've used from white labs. It was essentially a solid mass of yeast cake. Very intense. It's just weird that they are fermenting with little to no Krausen.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 03:02:04 pm »
More important is how it tastes. Smells during fermentation aren't very indicative of a final product usually.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 03:25:46 pm »

Yea I will say the pure pitch I had was unlike any vile I've used from white labs. It was essentially a solid mass of yeast cake. Very intense. It's just weird that they are fermenting with little to no Krausen.

Possible it started quickly and finished just as quickly. Healthy, large qty and higher temps could produce a fast and furious fermentation that burns out and starts winding down quickly.  Taste will confirm, so wait until then and see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale