Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP565 Belgian Saison I question  (Read 5115 times)

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
WLP565 Belgian Saison I question
« on: February 07, 2016, 08:49:56 am »
Hey guys, this is my first time using this yeast, so I'm a little in the dark.  OG was 1.051, now at 1.007 after 5 days, fermented at 68*.  I'm getting a lot of hefeweizen kinda flavor right now.  I wanted to transfer to secondary with some blood oranges today, but I was wondering if I should wait longer?  Where should I go from here?
Thanks for any help.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: WLP565 Belgian Saison I question
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 08:59:24 am »
I wouldn't rack any beer after 5 days. I'd wait until you get 2-3 identical hydrometer readings, each a day or two apart. Then rack to secondary to add the fruit . Saison yeasts can take a little while to hit FG - depending on your grist and mash schedule you might end up as low as 1.002 - 1.004 FG.
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 09:01:29 am »
It may drop a couple more points but you will also get secondary fermentation from the oranges, I would rack to a secondary vessel onto the oranges and let it finish fermenting out, not even necessary to hold temp, just let it free rise and finish

Edit, Jon chimed in before me and I'd concur with him as well, really either way IMO

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 09:17:19 am »
Have a 565 kegged right now.  Started at 1.056 and finished at 1.002 for me. Fermented at 70 and let it set on the yeast for 3 weeks.  Really good stuff
Jeff B

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 10:20:34 am »
I'm not an advocate of the idea that floats around some forums that all beers need 4-6 weeks in the primary but when it comes to saison yeasts I tend to give them a little more time in the fermentation vessel. I find giving the yeast a few extra weeks to hang out with the beer and condition results in a more articulate ester/phenol profile. So I definitely would not be thinking about moving the beer for several weeks.

Many disagree with me about saison yeast although they are wrong.  ;D
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 11:08:42 am »
I'm not an advocate of the idea that floats around some forums that all beers need 4-6 weeks in the primary but when it comes to saison yeasts I tend to give them a little more time in the fermentation vessel. I find giving the yeast a few extra weeks to hang out with the beer and condition results in a more articulate ester/phenol profile. So I definitely would not be thinking about moving the beer for several weeks.

Many disagree with me about saison yeast although they are wrong.  ;D

Totally agree - 5 days is nowhere near enough time. I never take a saison out of primary until at least 3 weeks. Hefe (banana) flavor in a saison is a fault, IMO. Warm that thing up to the low 70s for a few weeks.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 11:19:21 am »
Also, 565 is a fast worker but don't be fooled by the low gravity so early on. IMO, saisons need that bump in temp + time to really come into their own.

Offline weiht

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 05:31:06 am »
Agreed, and I always naturally carbonate in the keg. Somehow, the refermentation in the keg adds to the magic of the yeast and I won't drink it until after 6 weeks. Okay, I do drink it earlier of course lol, but I did a batch where i bottled the saison and pop one open each week to taste where it starts to shine and peak, and where it starts to drop off.

Don't take it personal, there will be people who dislike your beer!!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 05:53:25 am »
Also, 565 is a fast worker but don't be fooled by the low gravity so early on. IMO, saisons need that bump in temp + time to really come into their own.

I agree, saison shouldn't be rushed.
Jon H.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 08:54:50 pm »
Some say that 565 is also pressure sensitive, so this one might be better left in the primary with loose foil covering it.  Naturally carbonating is fine as long as the yeast is coaxed to completion first - raising the temp is frequently used to get the yeast to finish up.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 08:51:04 am »
Some say that 565 is also pressure sensitive, so this one might be better left in the primary with loose foil covering it.  Naturally carbonating is fine as long as the yeast is coaxed to completion first - raising the temp is frequently used to get the yeast to finish up.
I've not heard this.  I do know when I split my Saison between 3 different yeasts, they took a bit to finished.  I didn't do any crazy temps that I've read about.  I fermented in the high 60's, then raised to low 70's.  They finished the last few points once I raised temp after 2 weeks.  I kegged after a month, thought it was 3 weeks.  Saison just takes time.  I will just loosely cover the fermenter the next time on 565.   
Jeff B

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 09:24:10 am »

This.  565/Dupont is a mutated strain of wine yeast used at Brassierie Dupont.  When saisons first became really popular (right when I started brewing), the yeast was confounding homebrewers all over the place.  "Ferment it in the lower 90's!", and "saisons need 2-3 MONTHS to finish" were common forum-perpetuated homebrewing myths. 

After hearing Denny and Drew hypothesize that it was a wine yeast, I started fermenting with it and piece of sanitized foil over the airlock for the first few days, and haven't had a stall since.  Wine yeasts are also known to ferment in the upper 70's and not produce fusels, which Dupont can also do.  I typically go one week at 68, then another week to ten days at 72-74, but am thinking of bumping the initial ferment/pitch temp up the next time we brew with it. 

Get rid of the pressure in the headspace, and it behaves like any other big-attenuating sacc yeast.
Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 09:25:58 am »

This.  565/Dupont is a mutated strain of wine yeast used at Brassierie Dupont.  When saisons first became really popular (right when I started brewing), the yeast was confounding homebrewers all over the place.  "Ferment it in the lower 90's!", and "saisons need 2-3 MONTHS to finish" were common forum-perpetuated homebrewing myths. 

After hearing Denny and Drew hypothesize that it was a wine yeast, I started fermenting with it and piece of sanitized foil over the airlock for the first few days, and haven't had a stall since.  Wine yeasts are also known to ferment in the upper 70's and not produce fusels, which Dupont can also do.  I typically go one week at 68, then another week to ten days at 72-74, but am thinking of bumping the initial ferment/pitch temp up the next time we brew with it. 

Get rid of the pressure in the headspace, and it behaves like any other big-attenuating sacc yeast.

Drew is a firm advocate of that fermentation method for that yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 11:10:18 am »
+1. This has been my experience with this yeast as well. Loose foil for the first 3 days of fermentation then throw an airlock on it. Even if a bit finicky, 565 is hands down my favorite saison yeast.

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 06:49:31 am »
+1. This has been my experience with this yeast as well. Loose foil for the first 3 days of fermentation then throw an airlock on it. Even if a bit finicky, 565 is hands down my favorite saison yeast.

Agreed.  Other saison yeasts produce decent beer, but there is no replacing Dupont.
Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles