Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Speidel spigot sanitation  (Read 3422 times)

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
Speidel spigot sanitation
« on: February 08, 2016, 04:29:08 am »
I just kegged my second batch brewed in  a 30l speidel fermenter I got for Christmas. My procedure has been to cleanse and sanitize the keg and tubing used to transfer then just before transfer spray star san into and around the spigot, attach the hose and let it go.  Are there any other cleaning or sanitizing steps other speidel users suggest?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Speidel spigot sanitation
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 07:56:16 am »
That is all I have done.  But prior to filling the speidel to ferment, I clean & sanitize the whole valve setup.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 09:17:05 am »
I have 6 Speidel 30Ls. I have 6 brand new spigots for them because I have never used them. I rack with an autosyphon.

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 12:17:07 pm »
I have 6 Speidel 30Ls. I have 6 brand new spigots for them because I have never used them. I rack with an autosyphon.
Any particular reason?

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Speidel spigot sanitation
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 12:38:52 pm »
I think it's important to remove the valve and clean the gaskets and the area around the gaskets. Gunk can build up there overtime and that gunk is a potential a source for infection.

I point the valve down when attaching to keep dust from the air from falling in during a multi week fermentation. I spray Starsan into the valve a few minutes before draining the fermenter.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 12:50:04 pm »
Any particular reason?

One is that if you've ever had a spigot fail you'll find that one accident wipes out any convenience you ever gained. Two is that there is no way of knowing that the thing stayed sanitized during the long wait for the beer to finish. The tiniest leak, even just one drop, creates a petri dish that your beer has to flow over on its way to the keg or bottling bucket. I don't like them, so I don't use them.

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 06:03:20 am »
One is that if you've ever had a spigot fail you'll find that one accident wipes out any convenience you ever gained. Two is that there is no way of knowing that the thing stayed sanitized during the long wait for the beer to finish. The tiniest leak, even just one drop, creates a petri dish that your beer has to flow over on its way to the keg or bottling bucket. I don't like them, so I don't use them.

Same here. I had a run of 4 batches many years back when I was using a bottleing bucket where all the beers just went south quick.    (competition wise I went from 38/42 to 28 scores...)  I finally traced it back to the spout of the bottleing bucket where beer had accumulated over time between in the pressed fit clear plastic/red plastic valve.  When I finally thought to try and take it appart, I found mold and gunk in it...   From that experience,  I bought 4 new valves and considered them single use.  Later that year (scarred for life  ;D) I switched to kegging.

I for one am very anti valve... unless you can take them appart and clean them!
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline millstone

• Cellarman
  • Cedar Lake IN
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 06:58:27 am »
If your not using the spigots, how did you plug the holes in the Speidel or bottling buckets? Whatever was used I assume is sanitary and does not give any off flavors?

thanks
tom
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 07:12:07 am by millstone »

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 07:35:31 am »
There's a thread on HomeBrewTalk about using the spigots from the SS Brewtech brewbuckets for the Speidels. Looks like a good alternative.
Jesse

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 11:27:35 am »
If your not using the spigots, how did you plug the holes in the Speidel or bottling buckets? Whatever was used I assume is sanitary and does not give any off flavors?

thanks
tom

There is a screw on cap that can replace the spigot
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 11:30:57 am »
I sometimes forget to sanitize my spigot when transferring to the keg and luckily I have not had any problems yet. I normally use a brush meant to clean my keg faucets.

This chrome replacement spigot could be a worthwhile investment:
http://www.morebeer.com/products/chrome-spigot-speidel-plastic-fermenters.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA3Ou1BRDso5XyhduuwFASJABP3PEDre002tQL2xnTRdVsMHm5ki411vAvTIeKvdDxWhw0IhoC6yTw_wcB
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 01:39:48 pm »

thanks
tom

There is a screw on cap that can replace the spigot
This