Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: DIPA Hops - Mosaic, Cascade, Apollo  (Read 6717 times)

Offline weiht

• Cellarman
Re: DIPA Hops - Mosaic, Cascade, Apollo
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 06:33:49 am »

Eureka hops..

I second this

Eureka, Eureka and more Eureka

I'm using it for the first time and have not even dry hopped the beer. Just the whirlpool additions are crazy enough (about 0.7lbs/bbl of Eureka), pretty amazing and happy that it's still under the radar.
Don't take it personal, there will be people who dislike your beer!!

coastsidemike

Re: DIPA Hops - Mosaic, Cascade, Apollo
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2016, 10:03:55 am »
Resurrecting a dead thread, but I'm curious. I have some new Apollo from YVH I was planning on using in my next IPA. How do y'all feel about Apollo as a flameout/dry hop addition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Personally, I've had some fantastic Apollo and some mediocre ones. I'm guessing that the end result depends on growing and harvesting conditions.

At its best, Apollo is like the perfect marriage of Amarillo and Columbus, plenty of tangerine with some dank resin to back it up. The mediocre Apollo I've had has none of the orange notes and is just nondescript "resin" without much depth to it.

I did an Apollo SMaSH last year, it also had nice apricot overtones.  It was good.  Hop quality does vary yet everything from YVH this year has been stellar; no complaints.  Your hop addition schedule looks great. 

8.2% is way too syrupy for me yet Vinny pulls it off nicely.  Wondering if it's the sugar addition that makes that possible.

Adding Eureka to the next order!