Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New York - and Beer  (Read 2620 times)

Offline lonetreedavid

• Cellarman
New York - and Beer
« on: June 19, 2010, 10:45:06 pm »
I am coming to America (for my first visit) - sometime this October.
I'll be in the New York area for a week or so; and I'd really love to get some "Beer" recommendations:-
I'm particularly looking for microbreweries (Brooklyn/Manhattan), brewing stores and, of course, bars.
Love to get some information before I go.
Thanks David

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
Re: New York - and Beer
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 11:16:12 pm »
Here's a few of my favorite beer bars (all in Manhatten except for the last one, which is in Staten Island)...I'm sure folks will weigh in with some others.

The Blind Tiger Ale House — 281 Bleecker Street
Burp Castle — 41 East 7th Street
d.b.a. — 41 1st Avenue  (just avoid it on the weekend...it becomes a noisy, obnoxious zoo)
Killmeyer's Old Bavarian Inn — 4256 Arthur Kill Rd (Staten Island)...emphasis is on German beer and they serve some very good German food

These places all have nice selections, often with some real surprises.
There are a few brewpubs in and around the area, but nothing really to write home about   (the three best ones closed years ago). The remaining ones are average at best.  I'll leave it to someone else to make suggestions based on their recent NY brewpub experiences; mine have been less than satisfying.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline makemehoppy

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 09:07:20 am »
Gingerman, Gallway Hooker right next door and Rattle and Hum  all within an easy walking distance of each other

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 06:00:25 am »
First post for me! Hurrah.

If you want a good experience of lots of different craft beers, go to Pony Bar - http://www.theponybar.com/ I went there a few times when I lived in NYC and think it's top-notch.

I don't recommend Burp Castle because if you're from Europe there's nothing there that you haven't had already. Next door is Standings, which is a sports-bar-comme-craft-alehouse. Free pizza on Fridays, too!
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 07:07:12 am »
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 08:17:16 am »
If you go to Brooklyn Brewing don't forget you AHA pub discount.

In that area you will also find Mugs Ale house, Spuyten Duyvil, Fette Sow, and Barcade.

Spuyten Duyvil is a little Belgian style place that we really liked.
http://www.spuytenduyvilnyc.com/

The Gingerman on Manhatten was very good also.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 10:11:38 am »
In that area you will also find Mugs Ale house, Spuyten Duyvil, Fette Sow, and Barcade.

Spuyten Duyvil is a little Belgian style place that we really liked.
http://www.spuytenduyvilnyc.com/

I second Spuyten Duyvil. I used to live down the street from that place a few years back. Fette Sow is right across the street and has fantastic BBQ as well as a decent beer and whiskey selection.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 03:14:59 pm »
I've been to NYC once or twice a year for several years while my wife has business and I get to explore.  I generally download a map from beer-mapping and takes trains and walk a lot.
It's best to check the operating hours of the pubs in Brooklyn.  Spuyten Duyvel has not been open when I've gotten there in the afternoon before 4, as well as Mugs Ale House (very nice, friendly bar with a good local craft selection) and Barcade.  Brooklyn Brewery only gives tours on certain days and their tasting room is only open at certain times.  So plan ahead before taking the train all the way to Williamsburg.
In Manhattan, my favorite bar is the Blind Tiger in the West Village.  It is friendly, the food is good (and cheap for NYC), the bartenders knowledgeable and the beer selection is fantastic.  I always have a nice afternoon there.  Gingerman is nice, but usually very crowded.  I saw several cask ales being poured at Rattle and Hum but my bartender was so inattentive that it spoiled the experience.  Your results may vary.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995