Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pressurized Racking/Transfer  (Read 2296 times)

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
Pressurized Racking/Transfer
« on: February 09, 2016, 06:48:48 am »
Was thinking about transferring from fermenter to corny keg by going from our conical to the 'Beer Out'/Diptube of a CO2-purged keg.  However, will this work simply by gravity?  Our conical has tri-clover clamp connects and is typically elevated from the floor in our ferment chamber.  Not sure how people set these up unless they are actually fermenting in corny kegs. 

Thanks in advance!
Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Pressurized Racking/Transfer
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 07:39:02 am »
I transfer from better bottles to kegs through the dip tube with gravity. PRV must remain open or a spunding valve needs to be connected to the gas post. It's a very slow transfer.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 10:31:47 am »
If your conical can handle of few psi, pumping a bit of CO2 into it will probably help.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 01:07:40 pm »
I transfer from better bottles to kegs through the dip tube with gravity. PRV must remain open or a spunding valve needs to be connected to the gas post. It's a very slow transfer.

Nice, thanks, I will probably just try with the PRV open.  Have you noticed any benefit in flavor stability since doing this?

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 10:29:09 am »
You also need something to replace the volume of the beer as it flows out of the fermentor. 

I've experimented with a fully closed transfer (where you run a line from the gas in post of the CO2 purged receiving keg to the fermentor), but racking under a bit of pressure seemed to work better for me.

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 10:41:22 am »
but racking under a bit of pressure seemed to work better for me.

so to do this, I would just need to figure out a way to run a CO2-gas line into the top of the fermenter?  If I were to just remove the airlock/bung from the top of the fermenter, would the concern be that o2 is getting in from the top-down?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 10:45:27 am »
I have been doing closed transfers under CO2 with the conical. 2 PSI in top speeds up the process, my Blichmann is rated for 3 PSI. That is like having a 54+ inch column on top of the beer. The second 5 gallons is where it is noticeable if you do 10 gallon batches.

The Blichmann has a pop off weight, so I am safe. Watch that the regulator pressure does not creep up.

I pull the airlock, and have a barbed fitting that goes into the stopper, the fitting has some tubing with a gas fitting that goes on the CO2 line swivel fitting.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 11:21:24 am »
but racking under a bit of pressure seemed to work better for me.

so to do this, I would just need to figure out a way to run a CO2-gas line into the top of the fermenter?

Yes.  Here is what I did: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=20241.0

I no longer do the closed transfer though.  I just run a line from the CO2 manifold into the fermentor and pull the PRV on the receiving keg.

If I were to just remove the airlock/bung from the top of the fermenter, would the concern be that o2 is getting in from the top-down?

That is my concern.  It may be unfounded.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 11:37:23 am »

If I were to just remove the airlock/bung from the top of the fermenter, would the concern be that o2 is getting in from the top-down?

That is my concern.  It may be unfounded.
I don't think it would be much of an issue, at least in my case. I leave behind beer so any oxygen contact is only happening to the waste.