Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: in trouble again :(  (Read 4520 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: in trouble again :(
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2016, 09:24:19 am »
It's pretty straightforward otherwise.

In my long experience, nothing is ever straightforward the first time, except things like falling off a cliff or something similar.

No offense, but it doesn't seem that you have incorporated this life lesson into your approach to brewing. Nobody here will fault your enthusiasm, yet don't be surprised when rushed projects end up with frustrating results like beer-gun "malfunction" or off flavors like diacetyl.  The learning can be fun too if you slow down, get it right and enjoy the results.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2016, 10:09:43 am »
I grant you the beergun problems I had. Nothing to do with express brewing, and I'm sure I'll get them under control pretty soon. However, the faint diacetyl (not even everybody perceives it) IS a fundamental part of the express brewing experiment, and so the question is how to avoid. Not that I have plans to redo the experiment ;)

BTW, my beer was tasted by 30+ people and in general they were very surprised one is able to make decent beer within 5 days or so. So no frustration here.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2016, 11:25:45 am »
I grant you the beergun problems I had. Nothing to do with express brewing, and I'm sure I'll get them under control pretty soon. However, the faint diacetyl (not even everybody perceives it) IS a fundamental part of the express brewing experiment, and so the question is how to avoid. Not that I have plans to redo the experiment ;)

BTW, my beer was tasted by 30+ people and in general they were very surprised one is able to make decent beer within 5 days or so. So no frustration here.

Hey, if you're happy, I'm happy. Is your goal to make consistently decent beer in a hurry?
I would look at yeast strain and fermentation temp scheme to address  your diacetyl.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2016, 11:39:33 am »
I would look at yeast strain and fermentation temp scheme to address  your diacetyl.
I agree with this. Pick a low D producer that flocs quickly and rouse often as you bump the temps. You should probably incorporate a forced diacetyl test before you cold crash as well to ensure that you won't run into issues down the line.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2016, 11:44:54 am »
I blame Drew. He recommended the yeast ;)
Frank P.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2016, 11:46:50 am »
Hey, if you're happy, I'm happy. Is your goal to make consistently decent beer in a hurry?
That is not my intention. I was just reproducing Drew's express brewing procedure.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 12:15:29 pm by homoeccentricus »
Frank P.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2016, 01:10:25 pm »
I agree with this. Pick a low D producer that flocs quickly and rouse often as you bump the temps. You should probably incorporate a forced diacetyl test before you cold crash as well to ensure that you won't run into issues down the line.

The rousing part I did not know. Does it really help? And the forced diacetyl test (you mean rest, I assume?), who would that work if fermentation should be done after two and a half days?
Frank P.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2016, 01:17:43 pm »

The rousing part I did not know. Does it really help? And the forced diacetyl test (you mean rest, I assume?), who would that work if fermentation should be done after two and a half days?

Well, both solutions would likely blow-up your target drinking time. Rousing can help if you have yeast flocculating well before the wort is attenuated to the desired degree. A forced diacetyl test, you warm a sample more to room temp, while covered with a coaster or somesuch, swirl, smell, taste.  You are "forcing" the diacetyl to become more discernible at warmer temperatures. Again, if confirmed you then need the rest, which moves the goalpost.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2016, 07:19:23 pm »
You actually warm it to like 120F for 10-15 minutes while covered. What happens is any diacetyl precursors still left in the beer are converted to diacetyl, and you will be able to smell it in the heated sample. If its clean, then you know that the yeast won't be creating more diacetyl over time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2016, 07:23:19 pm »
As far as rousing goes, it will help ensure that flocculent yeast stay in suspension longer to ensure it finishes up fully. I don't know how that would factor into a speed fermentation, but it certainly helps with diacetyl producing yeast like 1968.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2016, 08:23:48 am »
Aha, so I did not pick a good yeast for this experiment. Just for the fun of it, which yeast would have been better? So finishes the job in 2 days, no diacetyl, clears rapidly...
Frank P.