Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Radiating beer experiment  (Read 4572 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Radiating beer experiment
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 09:07:19 am »
3 Mile IslandPA
Curie's Cream Ale
Chenobyl-hopped Pils

OK... we need to stop lol  ;D
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 09:21:54 am »
Erythema Red Ale?

KvP Kolsch...

mAs IPA.  (Doesn't make sense but sounds good  ::))

Nice work, Euge.  Erythema Red Ale is pretty solid.
Jon H.

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 05:24:16 pm »

Interestingly, not the first mention of beer and radiation. The US Govt exposed beer to nuke tests to determine if beer and soda remained safe to drink after an explosion (aka emergency potable water)

http://www.npr.org/sections/krulwich/2012/09/18/161338723/u-s-explodes-atomic-bombs-near-beers-to-see-if-they-are-safe-to-drink

Found this same link this morning which made me decide to do it.  I need to present the results in class so that's why I was asking for advice on recording tasting notes.  I'm not trained to taste off flavors, but I can tell you when a beer taste s***ty

As a CT/Xray tech, I wish I'd had a project like this in school. What beers are you using out of curiosity? I would have one of them be an IPA with lots of hop aroma - hop aromas can oxidize in a matter of seconds in the sun. Might be interesting to see what happens here.

My first thought was homebrew, a double IPA that went wrong that I have been holding onto for one year.  Or I have some bottles of obsidian stout in my fridge. I like your idea of an IPA, would give immediate results. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 05:35:10 pm »

Erythema Red Ale?

KvP Kolsch...

Hell yea these are awesome names.  Mas IPA makes complete sense to me, who doesn't want more mas :)

Barium brown

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2016, 05:39:39 pm »

Erythema Red Ale?

KvP Kolsch...

Hell yea these are awesome names.  Mas IPA makes complete sense to me, who doesn't want more mas :)

Barium brown

Yeah, mAs IPA is pretty killer, too. However, Barium Brown is a deal breaker 100% of the time. Sad to say, been there, done that.    ;D
Jon H.

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2016, 05:40:51 pm »

I'm assuming the experiment will be performed with homebrew?

If the doses don't skunk the beer- which it may very well do, then perhaps a new method for beer pasteurization could be developed.

The old govt test revealed quality issues with some of the beer after exposure to an atomic blast and all its varied wavelengths. Far more Grays than any old tube is gonna give.

For really nice high dosage how about running the beer through the scanner?

Unfortunately our school doesn't have a scanner. Just a broken down c arm/ crappy portable and X-ray tubes from the 60s man. Haha gotta learn somehow

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 08:13:03 pm »
Code Brown ale...  :-\
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 08:22:14 pm »
Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 08:38:38 pm »
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 09:02:46 pm »
Nope. Just.............yeah.
Jon H.

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 09:52:07 am »

:(

I had to go there.

Too much perhaps?  ;D

Uh yea, now I know what not to name my beers.  Back to my original ?, how would you guys go about organizing the tasting session?

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2016, 07:09:23 am »

I had to go there.

Too much perhaps?  ;D

Uh yea, now I know what not to name my beers.  Back to my original ?, how would you guys go about organizing the tasting session?

I've got to ask - Are you confident that irradiated beer would be safe to consume? Would you warn the potential tasters about it before they consumed it? I have no evidence to the contrary, and I would imagine that med students would have thought of this before I would, but still...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2016, 07:15:04 am »
Interestingly, not the first mention of beer and radiation. The US Govt exposed beer to nuke tests to determine if beer and soda remained safe to drink after an explosion (aka emergency potable water)

http://www.npr.org/sections/krulwich/2012/09/18/161338723/u-s-explodes-atomic-bombs-near-beers-to-see-if-they-are-safe-to-drink

Drew posted this link above. It was tested in depth by the govt during nuclear tests.
Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2016, 09:25:15 am »

I had to go there.

Too much perhaps?  ;D

I've got to ask - Are you confident that irradiated beer would be safe to consume? Would you warn the potential tasters about it before they consumed it? I have no evidence to the contrary, and I would imagine that med students would have thought of this before I would, but still...

The test subject beer will not end up "radioactive" if that is your concern. You must be thinking of "isotopes".

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2016, 02:25:59 pm »
Update: radiated dosed beer finished .002 lower than control.  But had noticeable flavor flaws. Sour apple and yet gym sock.  Also PH was lower