Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: bottles for NHC  (Read 3267 times)

Offline smitch09

• 1st Kit
bottles for NHC
« on: February 14, 2016, 12:42:25 pm »
Hey all, this is my first time entering the NHC. I have a few questions about entry bottles that I could not find an answer to.

Are the stubby Sierra Nevada type bottles acceptable?

Is it okay if a bottle can be identified with a commercial brewery? For example, some breweries have custom bottles with their logo "printed" in the glass. Can I use such bottles for my entry if all labels are removed?

Thanks for your help!

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: bottles for NHC
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 01:17:37 pm »
I believe the short bottles are out because they don't package well with the standard bottles. These sites could have 800 bottles coming, so they are going to be stored in cases. The short bottles don't fit well. As far as raised letters like Sam Adams bottles go. I think they're listed as "discouraged." It's been said that nobody bats an eye at them though. I personally don't take the chance.
Frank

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 01:21:36 pm »
It is in here. Less than 9" in height, no more than 2.75 inch diameter. Storing bottles of different sizes causes trouble when you have 1500 bottles to store in limited space. Someone from AHA will need to clarify the raised letters.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/competitions/national-homebrew-competition/rules-and-regulations/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 04:01:03 pm »
Raised letter bottles are nowhere discouraged or banned in the rules.

1. What kind of bottle is required?
Beer, mead and cider entries must be in sealed, food-safe containers that meet these criteria:
  • Hold a minimum of 10 ounces (296 ml) in volume.
  • No more than 2.75 inches (7 cm) in diameter and no more than 9 inches (23 cm) in height, to ensure that they will fit in standard longneck case box slot.
  • Must be free of ink, paint, or paper labeling other than the competition entry label. Obliterate any lettering or graphics on the cap with a permanent black marker.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 04:04:23 pm by smkranz »
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 06:47:50 am »
Are the stubby Sierra Nevada type bottles acceptable?
I believe the short bottles are out because they don't package well with the standard bottles.
It is in here. Less than 9" in height, no more than 2.75 inch diameter. Storing bottles of different sizes causes trouble when you have 1500 bottles to store in limited space.

Packaging up my entries to ship out tomorrow and realized one of them is bottled in stubbies.

At about 8" tall and 2-1/2" diameter, it looks like stubby bottles are fine. Right?

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 07:21:03 am »
I have sent in shorter bottles than the "standard"  as long as the diameter is less than 2.75... you are good.  As for Sam Adams, I have sent in entries to competitions in the early days that were Sam Adams with no issue... but cant recll if it was NHC or not. 

In the end Sam Adams is likely ok.. but I would not send in one from any other brewery that had raised letters, as their limited distribution might make them "special". 

That being said, I dont think competitin organizers are trying to exclude anyone over petty things, but keeping the size easy to put into cases, and not pushing the limits is always a good idea.

-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 07:55:35 am »
One last question. Should we check the "Deliver without signature" box?

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 02:51:24 pm »
I've never required a signature and see no need for one here. (And have medalled with Sam Adams bottle)

I've got 4 ready to go; trying to decide on my last entries now.

Good luck
-Michael

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 03:42:39 pm »
It is in here. Less than 9" in height, no more than 2.75 inch diameter. Storing bottles of different sizes causes trouble when you have 1500 bottles to store in limited space. Someone from AHA will need to clarify the raised letters.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/competitions/national-homebrew-competition/rules-and-regulations/
Hi guys,

Raised lettering was only an issue back when bottles of that type were only locally or regionally available.  Once they became available across the USA, it is no longer an identifying mark on the bottle.  That is, anyone can use New Belgium bottles, because anyone can buy/get those bottles.  If you read the rules & regs for the NHC, it actually says something about this.

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org