Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2016 hop growning season  (Read 10927 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: 2016 hop growning season
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 08:20:19 pm »
I just got an email from Farmhouse saying that my rhizomes have shipped. It's a couple of weeks earlier than expected, but makes sense given the warm winter and spring we're having. Ordered a crown of Pacific Gem from Great Lakes Hops to complete my set.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2016, 08:47:17 pm »
My Perle has woken up: saw this morning those reddish tips--just a day after the last of the April snow melted here in Western Massachusetts. Waiting to see if the EKG and Northern Brewer rise and shine soon, too.
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 04:34:49 am »
I dug a couple of rhizomes last week for couple of coworkers. I had no visual growth. We had snow on the ground this week in NE Ohio with 2-4" expected tonight. I checked the hops yesterday. I have visual growth on all 9 plants with magnum and chinook with 12-18" shooters.

FWIW, the Thyme Garden always sent me my rhizomes the second or third week of March. They are out of Oregon I believe. The first year (2012) was the warmest March on record here, so I planted the day I got them. The next year, different story. They stayed in the fridge for almost a month before I could put a shovel in the ground.
Frank

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 07:35:45 am »
All four varieties have bines at least six feet tall.

Sadly the rest of my garden I overwintered is looking kinda crappy right now.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2016, 09:39:21 am »
I have nearly succeeded in wiping mine out.  Hopefully I can finish them off this year.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline FaradayUncaged

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2016, 11:07:43 am »
My rhizomes showed up this week (first time grower), but the weather is putting a damper on when I'll actually be able to plant (light snow here north of Detroit...nothing sticking but definitely too cold).

narvin

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2016, 12:19:15 pm »
I already have a few feet of growth on the earliest bines, but it's going to be 28 degrees tonight.  We'll see what happens...

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2016, 12:31:33 pm »
One of my nugget plants has 7-8 small red bines popping out and the other Nugget is starting to break ground along with the Willamette. Still getting second winter here in WNY so we will see how they do.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2016, 03:21:59 pm »
I spray my yard with a herbicide throughout the year, as weeds love my yard so much. I try to avoid getting my hops with the spray but was wonder if anyone has killed theirs off by this?  I emailed Ortho and Spectricide and really never got a definitive answer. They both say to avoid them but wouldn't say if it would kill them off.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2016, 05:15:32 pm »
Soil temps in Chicago are still in the low 40's, snow shoers all day here, I got no sprouts yet......can spring please arrive

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2016, 12:40:50 pm »
Finally got my new rhizomes/plants into the ground today. I have a rhizome each of Sterling and Sorachi Ace, and a crown of Pacific Gem started in pots under my deck. When I went to throw away what I thought was an empty shipping box afterwards, I noticed it was heavier than expected. I reached under the packing material and pulled out an extra bag. The tag inside read "Lucky: bonus hops!". I didn't have a spot in the yard, so I now have a Perle crown planted among some small birches at the southern edge of the woods by my yard.

Shout out to Great Lakes Hops (http://www.greatlakeshops.com/) for making my day. Shipping was quick and well-packaged, the crowns look great, and little surprises like this are the type of customer service that make me want to pay it forward and share my experience. It will be interesting to see how the crowns do side-by-side with rhizomes this year.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2016, 09:18:44 pm »
My Cascade, Centennial and Willamette are... were about 2ft tall. Hacked them down today. Way too early yet. I'll probably hack them down every couple weeks through may then let em rip

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2016, 09:15:11 am »
Well who knew, checked my plants in the snow yesterday, soil temp was a chilly 41 and both my cascades and centennials are showing 1-2" sprouts!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline FaradayUncaged

• Cellarman
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2016, 08:21:38 am »
What range of soil temps do you generally look for before either planting or allowing to grow?

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2016, 09:32:54 pm »
Rhizomes are usually dug when they're dormant and kept refrigerated to help hold them back.  If that's what you're planting, as soon as you can work the soil is a good time to get them in the ground.  Once it begins to warm up, they'll start poking.  In your first year you should let everything grow as the more foliage it can produce, the more food it can produce  to help build a strong root system and crown.  Once they're established they'll generally produce many more shoots than you'll need  so folks thin them out.