Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 30 Amp Double Pole Single Throw Question  (Read 2574 times)

Offline thejankyox

• 1st Kit
30 Amp Double Pole Single Throw Question
« on: February 11, 2016, 11:46:13 pm »
Greetings,

I am in the process of building the control panel to outfit our one barrel system and as I was considering the type of switch to use, I remembered seeing heavy duty 30 amp DPST switches at my local hardware store.

For example,

http://www.lowes.com/pd_89198-334-3032W___

I have seen these switches (with a 30 amp rating) generally used for generators, garage heaters, etc.  However, I am curious as to anyone's thoughts on whether or not this would be a feasible consideration to control the elements in our HLT, RIMS and BK.  Or if you have direct experience using a switch like the one shown above, it would be great to get your feedback.

Thank you in advance for the feedback.

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
Re: 30 Amp Double Pole Single Throw Question
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 05:22:08 am »
If the switch is rated for 30 Amps, and your lode is less than that, you are good. (wall plug in your house is 15A in most places, usually 20A in your kitchen and garage in most modern housing)

These switches are made (generaly) for single phase (120V circuit) switching, however this one is rated to 277V.  So you could switch all the way up to a 240V heating element with it at 30Amps.   

In general, it will depend on what the circuit breaker/fuse is rated for amp-wise.  THe fuse/Curcuit Breaker should be rated to blow at an amperage lower than any of your devices... otherwise you switch will become the fuse....   :o

The only thing to consider on this switch, is that you will be using it in a wet enviornment, so you could have issues if water works it's way into the swtich. If you position it so that it does not get wet, you should have no worries. 

One last note,  make sure you use the wire size rated for the amperage you  will be carrying.  14 awg wire is not suitabe for 20A or greater loads, so use 12 awg or even 10awg if your amperage for the circuit requires it.   

Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 05:24:46 am by wingnut »
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 07:31:12 am »
The only thing to consider on this switch, is that you will be using it in a wet enviornment, so you could have issues if water works it's way into the swtich. If you position it so that it does not get wet, you should have no worries. 

And on that note, please make sure the whole thing is GFCI protected. When I install my electric brewing system I just went ahead and ran a new 30 amp GFCI circuit for the whole thing. With 12 gauge wire, as it was a short (<6') run.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline sonex

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 11:24:01 pm »

And on that note, please make sure the whole thing is GFCI protected. When I install my electric brewing system I just went ahead and ran a new 30 amp GFCI circuit for the whole thing. With 12 gauge wire, as it was a short (<6') run.

electrical code requires 10 gauge wire to 30 amp circuits.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 10:06:53 am »

electrical code requires 10 gauge wire to 30 amp circuits.

That's interesting. I'd read I was fine with 12, but I checked the code and you're right. Seems that there's a blanket statement in one section that rules over another section that deals with temp and cable types that states some 12-gauge cables will work with 30 amps. (The latter section is what I'd based my purchase on.)

To be clear though, I've never come close to drawing 30 amps, my electric setup only draws just under 20 amps.

When I sell it I'll pull the 30-amp breaker and install a 20-amp one in its place and call it a day.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 10:08:50 am by Phil_M »
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.