Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What BJCP Category - Dark Belgian Witbier  (Read 1659 times)

Offline samotopolus

• 1st Kit
What BJCP Category - Dark Belgian Witbier
« on: February 12, 2016, 08:38:00 pm »
I brewed what has turned out to be a pretty decent Belgian Witbier, but I did it with dark wheat and used Carafa II in the recipe as well. Other than that, nothing crazy, a little bit of coriander, anise, and licorice root. The recipe is more or less from Randy Mosher's Mastering Homebrew book. I can't seem to find a BJCP category this beer fits into. Should I just enter it into 26L Experimental Beer? Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
Re: What BJCP Category - Dark Belgian Witbier
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 08:21:09 am »
If the comp is still using the 2008 guidelines, I would go with Belgian Specialty.

Otherwise, I concur with Experimental Beer.  I thought about "Alternative Fermentables", but the intention behind that style is for nontraditional fermentables such as sorghum.

HTH-
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 08:49:54 am »
I had my very first one of those back in 2008 at the Vermont Brewers Festival in Burlington.  I thought it was a unique take on the style and enjoyed some of the different spicing utilized (IIRC they had star anise, citrus peel, and some coriander).

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 08:55:14 am »
I don't have any specific input on the category, but that sounds like a Wit that I might actually be interested in trying. It sounds like the Witbier equivalent of a Dunkelweizen.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline samotopolus

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 10:09:38 am »
Thanks to the input. There is no Belgian specialty category this year, so that won't work. I am also thinking that it might work nicely in the winter seasonal category. I guess that was really my intention. I wanted something that would be great to drink on freezing cold days but not knock me over with a 8% ABV. This came out about 5.75%, so it fits the bill perfectly.

I'll look up my complete recipe and post it if anyone is curious.

Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 05:02:27 pm »
I don't have any specific input on the category, but that sounds like a Wit that I might actually be interested in trying. It sounds like the Witbier equivalent of a Dunkelweizen.

I have had a couple iterations of these in the past.  They are either brewed as a fairly typical wit along with a debittered/dehusked roast malt (or sinamar ala black IPA ;)) or have some extra specialty malts in there (ie crystal) to beef up the body a tad along with some sweetness and light roast.