Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Intertap Faucets  (Read 4943 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Intertap Faucets
« on: June 21, 2016, 07:52:50 pm »
I bought a few flow control Intertap faucets and was excited to have an alternative to perlicks. Well, they leak from the bonnets. See below.

This is faucet two of three that leaked from the bonnet. I don't know how long it had been leaking, but the recent heat wave made some mold bloom.

A member on HBT has developed a fix using some o-rings, but I am going to try to get Keg King to fix it first. For now I recommend avoiding them.

Offline tommymorris

Re: Intertap Faucets
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 08:13:53 pm »
Ew!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 08:27:59 pm »
I'd be pissed. Just rebuilt some old standard taps. I wouldn't want to rebuild a new tap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Stevie

Intertap Faucets
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 08:34:55 pm »
Here is the fix from the HBT thread. The orings he links are out of stock, so I'm hosed for now. Just kicked my last keg, so I don't have anything to pour, but I have three beers ready to keg later this week.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7593018&postcount=493

I might order a couple of chrome faucets as backups.

I'm not pissed yet, I'll give them a chance to fix the issue before I get pissed. Early adopters always get to find the defects.

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 09:10:37 pm »
Damn and i am waiting to get my Intertap faucets, seems i also need to order those orings to prevent this issue  :-\

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 12:51:41 am »
Heard back from Keg King. Told me one of my washers was worn and need to be replaced. Faucets are less than two months old. I looked at the washer and it is fine.

They sent me a parts diagram and I then noticed that two faucets didn't have one of the rings at all from the beginning. The rings in question are part of the flow control mech where there is back up rings, so it wasn't a big deal.

I then looked in one of the faucet bodies to see this...

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 02:37:30 pm »
So i was inspecting the parts that Keg King tells me is causing the leak. It turns out that I have two different stiffnesses. I have two soft and one stiff. I believe the stiff washer was on the one faucet that wasn't leaking as when reassembled the lever action was about the same.

I think the soft washer can't clamp down hard enough to help create the seal. The design is still flawed overall, but this is seeming to work. I cannot find a similar washer online so I am trying to get Keg King to send me a handful.

I ordered the faucets from Ontario Beer Kegs and they have offered to send me a return label and refund my money. I'd rather the faucets work, but I might take them up on it and maybe have them trade me straight up for some perlick 650's

Offline Stevie

Intertap Faucets
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 05:24:04 pm »
Keg King is shipping replacement bonnet washers to me for two faucets. They did not have the other missing o-ring in stock so I need to find it on my own. Waiting on the specs so I can look around. I'm hopeful it's a common size.

As for my one working faucet. I've had it connected to a keg of sanitizer at 15psi with no noticeable leak. I hooked up a fresh keg at 30psi yesterday and haven't noticed a leak there either. I left the ferrule off so I can keep a close eye on the cup in the bonnet.

Previously the pour had a noticeable sound to it which I suspect was due to the missing o-ring in the body as this beer poured at 30psi whisper quiet.

As for the rust, most came off with some strong starsan. I ran it underwater and allowed it to dry a few times to see if it would return and it hasn't.  I might try undiluted starsan on a q-tip to get the remaining rust off. Advice is welcome here.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 05:25:53 pm by Stevie »